Hello Highland Youth Families!
Meals are an important part of UMYF and Highland's youth really look forward to them! We require that all families with an active youth in UMYF provide one meal per semester. There are two volunteers for each meal, so please provide your contact information and coordinate with your partner. For those that pull double duty as a parent and a UMYF leader, try to sign up with a family that may be able to stay and do the clean up so you can be free to participate with the youth once the meal is served.
New this Fall are some different meal categories! Try to plan a meal that fits the category so we can offer a greater variety to our youth. Please provide a main dish, a side dish, a dessert and a beverage. You should provide enough to feed 35 youth and adults (check back to these instructions prior to preparing food...I may update the number once we see how many are regularly attending each week.) Dinner should be ready to serve in Bradley Hall at 5pm. Paper products, utensils and drink mixes (tea and lemonade) are in the kitchen for you to use. Plan on staying (have a seat and eat with the youth if you would like!) until after everyone is done eating to clean up. All Highland utensils, serving and cooking dishes should be washed and put away. Wipe down the tables and chairs and take out our trash. Take all leftovers home with you. Our goal is leave the kitchen and Bradley Hall as we found it!
We do have some youth with dietary restrictions. Please provide one dairyfree/ gluten free option of fruit/vegetable so all the youth can have at least a small serving. When deciding on how much food to bring, just keep in mind that they usually have less than 30 minutes to eat. Some will come for seconds so if you bring a little extra that would be great, but for the most part they are happy with one nice size serving. The meal rotations with suggestions (these are just suggestions of popular items, but you can provide anything that fits in that category!) and approximate amounts include:
- Mexican Night: Taco bar, nacho bar, chili or enchiladas (2 tacos or one serving per youth)
- Pasta Night: Spaghetti, pasta casseroles, lasagna (1 serving per youth)
- Sub Night: Make your own subs or preorder from a sub shop and have an assortment for the kids to choose from (one sub or serving per youth)
- Soup and Sandwich Night: Chicken Noodle, Vegetable or Potato Soup with a half side sandwich(one bowl of soup and half sandwich per youth)
- Pizza Night: have at least one plain cheese option, 2 slices per youth
- Chicken Night: Fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken casserole (2 pieces of chicken or one serving per youth)
- Chef's Choice: Have a specialty? Bring what you think the youth group will like!
Popular side dishes include: fruit salad, green salad, veggie tray and dip, chips and salsa
And don't forget dessert! Cookies, popsicles and ice cream bar are all big hits!
Thank you for your help in feeding our hungry UMYF! If you have any questions please let me know!!
|| Chris Richards