2019 Rising Voices Oratory Competition Volunteers
We are excited to provide a public platform where young scholars can openly express their feelings and receive praise for being unapologetically BOLD!
About the Competition
Started in 2016 by We.APP (We Act. Present. Perform.) the competition was created to showcase the powerful voices of youth participating in the We.APP YAA (Young Artists Academy) taught in Seattle Public Schools. In front of a panel of judges and over 200 community members, We.APP YAA scholars define a new American voice, by presenting original speeches inspired by truth and a vision for tomorrow.
Learn more about We.APP.
We are looking for volunteers. Please review and sign up no later than Friday, March 29th by 5pm. Contact We.APP Program Coordinator, Leisha Muraki if you have questions at [email protected]
9:00 am - 5:00 pm (Volunteers arrive at 8:00 am)
Southshore PK - 8
- Food Set-up
- Time Keepers
- Tech Support
- Award Ceremony
- Set-up: Post Signage, Distribute Rubrics to each class. Organize/Set Up registration table, food & awards.
- Registration: Man booth, Greet contestants, judges, and guests. Direct contestants to appropriate classrooms. Distribute name badges. Check in contestants, volunteers, judges, & guests
- Food Set up: Set up tables, assist with food serving, encourage contestants to mingle throughout the day. *Note: There will be a caterer on site
- Pre-Coaching: Community members conduct 3- 5 minute pre-coaching sessions w/ selected students to help "warm" them up prior to presenting in front of the competition judges.
- Time Keepers: Assist Judges + Scoring, Tally scores for each contestant
- Tech Support: Help set up lapel microphones, PA system, music, power point, etc.
- Award Ceremony: Distribute prizes, certificates, and plaques to contestants.
- Clean Up: Pack up materials, reset classrooms, stack and store chairs and other miscellaneous breakdown.
Volunteers are expected to attend a rehearsal/orientation the evening before on Friday, May 17th. Food will be provided. Prior to the Pre Set-Up, volunteers will receive a packet of information via email, outline responsibiliites. During our meeting we will do a walk through of South Shore PK-8, discuss roles, questions and set-up the comeptition (chairs, tables, materials, signage). For those unable to attend, we will organize a time to distribute information.
Pre Set-Up Time:
5:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Pre Set-Up Location:
Southshore PK - 8
Check out last year's competition.
8:00am - 5:00pm EDT
South Shore PK- 8, 4800 S Henderson St, Seattle, WA 98118