Severe Weather Network Mission Team
Greetings Severe Weather Network Volunteers,
Thank you for volunteering for the 2019 Severe Weather Network! Please see below for an overview on the Severe Weather Network and a description of volunteer opportunities and responsibilities. The Severe Weather Network is now a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization registered under the name of the Severe Weather Network Livingston County. I am excited to share with you the following important updates and improvements for the 2018/2019 season:
1. SWN 2018/2019 Operational Dates - December 1, 2018 through April 14, 2019.
2. SWN Operational Hours - 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 a.m.
3. SWN Center Locations
- December 1- January 5 (Men and Women) - Emrich Retreat Center - 7380 Teahan Road, Brighton
- January 6 - January 31 (Men and Women) - 2/42 Church Brighton
- February 3 - March 31- (Men and Women) - Chilson Hills Church, Howell
- March 31 - April 14 - (Men and Women) - Emrich Retreat Center - 7380 Teahan Road, Brighton 48116
- Transportation - Transportation is provided through a contracted vendor. We will no longer have a need for transportation volunteers.
4. Training - Due to the SWN insurance coverage requirements, all new volunteers are required to complete the SWN Training. We will be offering on-line training to new volunteers beginning in December. Please visit our website. If you completed the 2018 SWN Training, there is no additional training required.
There are a number of volunteer opportunities available. They are outlined below.
GUEST REGISTRATION - 5:45 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Up to 2 Volunteers - 1 Minimum)
Welcome guests to the Center. Register each guest. Complete a search of guest's bag. Assist them if needed by familiarizing them with the SWN Center, assigning each guest a cot (if they have not stayed at the SWN Center the previous evening).
DINNER MEAL CHEFS- PREPARATION (Excellent opportunity to engage a small group)
Prepare a meal for 15 people, including guests and volunteers. Meals should be nourishing, but simple. Some dinner suggestions include, heavy soups (chili, chicken wild rice, minestrone), casserole dishes such as chicken divan, lasagna, chicken pot pie (Costco). A salad and/or vegetable, bread and a simple dessert (cookies, brownies, cupcakes, fruit) may be included. Please note that all leftovers will need to be removed from the SWN Center that same evening as there is no place to store the leftover food. Dinners should be delivered to the SWN Center hot at 5:45 p.m. Dinner takes place between 6:00 and 8:00 p.m.
DINNER SERVERS - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (2-4 Volunteers)
Dinner is served between 6:30 and 8:00 p.m. Clean-up takes place between 7:45 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to prepare a meal and also serve the meal, these volunteer tasks may be combined, simply register for both volunteer task options.
OVERNIGHT CHAPERONES - Minimum of 2 People (One Male and One Female) - 9:45 p.m. to 7:15 a.m.
The overnight chaperones are responsible to ensure the safety and comfort of the guests. The chaperones will sleep in shifts with one volunteer always awake throughout the night. Chaperones will have emergency on call numbers for the SWN Coordinator. Overnight chaperones will prepare the guest "grab and go" breakfast table prior to the center's 6:00 a.m. wake up call. All guests will check out of the Center by 7:00 a.m.
Some additional ways in which people may serve with this mission are as follows:
1. Donation of Funds - We are currently accepting monetary donations to cover the cost to operate the SWC on a daily basis. Monetary donations may be made on line through our website at www.livingstonswn.org or via check to the Severe Weather Network Livingston County and mailed to The Severe Weather Network Livingston County 214 E. Brooks Street, Suite 1 Howell, MI 48843.
2. Donation of Supplies - Please request an updated list from your Team Coordinator should you wish to coordinate a SWN Supply Drive.
3. Create Snack Bags - Snack bags may include, for example, a small bottle of water, protein bar, and apple. This type of mission work is a wonderful opportunity for school age students who may be affiliated with Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts/sports teams, National Honor Society, etc. to participate in this mission. Please contact your Team Coordinator should you wish to coordinate a group's participation in this event.
On behalf of the SWN Committee, The Salvation Army, and OLHSA, thank you for supporting this mission through prayer, volunteer support, and monetary donations. It is always such a joy to see God working through us to do what He has commanded of us. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email at [email protected] or by phone at 517-810-534-7625.
Emrich Retreat Center
7380 Teahan Road, Brighton, MI 48116