Thank you for your interest in Michigan State University's BFA in Acting. This signup is for incoming freshmen, transfer students, and current MSU students. Auditions for the 2020-2021 academic year are on January 25th and February 1st, 2020.
Click on this link: MSU Department of Theatre Audition page for more detailed information on how to prepare. The audition will consist of:
- Participation in a 45-minute workshop.
- Two contrasting contemporary (post-1960) memorized monologues no longer than 3 minutes combined.
- A brief interview.
- Please also bring a photo and resume that highlights previous performance experience, classes, special skills, and leadership or volunteer experience.
If you are also interested in auditioning for the Musical Theatre Immersion Program, there is a separate signup for musical theatre auditions, which can be found here on this page: MSU Department of Theatre Audition page.
Since you'll be here on campus, we'd like to invite you and your family to participate in some events. Please allow time for a tour of our rehearsal and performance spaces, to meet the faculty that may become your teachers, and to meet the students that may be your peers. We look forward to meeting you at the auditions!
SCHEDULE for both January 25th and February 1st, 2020
- 9:00AM: Sign In (Refreshments Served)
- 9:15AM: Icebreaker warmup with current BFA students
- 9:30AM: 45-minute movement/acting/improv workshop with faculty
- 10:15AM: Change clothes for monologues
- 10:30AM: Monologue auditions/interviews begin
- 11AM, 11:30AM, 12PM: Tours of Theatres Depart
- 12:30PM: Meet & Greet with Faculty/Advisor/Chair (Refreshments Served)
- 1:00PM Icebreaker warmup with current BFA students
- 1:15PM: 45-minute movement/acting/improv workshop with faculty
- 2:00PM: Change clothes for monologues
- 2:15PM: Monologue auditions/interviews begin
We are located at 542 Auditorium Road, East Lansing, MI 48824. See the attached map for information on where to park (parking outlined in red). Please enter through the front of the building on Farm Lane. Go one flight down to sign in at the Arena Lobby, then you will be directed to Room 12 and guided to wherever you need to be.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT AUDITIONS
- Is there a fee to audition?
- What if all the slots have been taken?
- Do you pre-screen auditions?
- No. We believe that everyone that wants to be seen should have that opportunity.
- What if I can't make it to either audition?
- If you have an immovable conflict or if you live more than 200 miles from campus, you may submit a video audition. Instructions for that can be found here: MSU Department of Theatre Audition page
- Do I have to apply to the university first?
- It is highly recommended. Most of our auditioners will have already received a determination from the university before they audition.
- If I get accepted to the BFA, does that mean I get accepted to the university?
- No. Acceptance into the BFA is contingent upon meeting the university's admission standards for enrollment.
- Are scholarship available?
- Applying early to MSU allows you to be considered for the greatest number of scholarships. The Department of Theatre has a limited amount of partial scholarships and you will be automatically considered for those at your audition.
HOW DO I CHANGE OR DELETE MY TIME SLOT?
- On the confirmation e-mail you received, click "View The Sign-Up," then delete or "swap" your time slot, or...
- Log on to your existing SignUpGenius account and edit or swap your time slot there, or...
- Create an account on SignUpGenius using the e-mail you used to sign up, then edit or swap your time slot, or...
- E-mail Deric McNish - [email protected]
More Questions: Contact Professor Deric McNish, Program Director - [email protected]