HumaneK9 Dog Training
This class is intended for those who wish to proof their dog's obedience skills (sit, down, stay, come) around a variety of distractions. Proofing your dog means they will respond to a cue under any circumstances (we like to say the majority of circumstances...they are dogs after all). Even if they're in an unfamiliar place or something distracting is happening that they've never experienced before. For owners of all skill levels, proofing a behavior for reliability despite strong environmental distractions is one of the hardest training goals.
Proofing is a great way to ensure your dog has a clear understanding of what is being requested of them (i.e., "stay" while a dog runs past you). This class will teach the valuable life skills dogs need in the real world, any sport they are participating in, obedience, therapy work, agility, etc.
Prerequisite: Basic Obedience (sit, down, stay, come)
Dogs must be non-aggressive towards people and other dogs and must be in good health.
All dogs, purebred, mixed breeds and dogs with disabilities are encouraged to participate.
ITEMS TO BRING TO CLASS
- A hungry dog (this increases your dog's interest in food rewards)
- Plenty of super high value soft treats (string cheese, hot dogs, chicken, deli meats, Zukes, Fruitables, Plato treats, etc.). Treats that are dry and crumble are not recommended.
- You may bring toys that do not make noise if your dog is not interested in treats.
- Bring a variety of items your dog finds rewarding (food, toys, tugs, etc.)
- Water for yourself and your dog, water bowl
- Dog crate that your dog will be in when they are not performing. This applies to all classes.
- A properly fitted collar or harness. No prong, choke or electric shock collars are permitted.
- A 4 or 6 foot leash - No retractable or Flexi leashes are permitted.
- A mat, crate pad or yoga mat for your dog. This should be the size of your dog so your dog can comfortably fit its entire body on it.
- Treat bag - bait bag
- A chair for yourself
- Small battery operated fan, if desired
- Bring appropriate sun protection as this is an outside venue
- Sneakers are required for all classes.
- Set up your crate/space up with enough room in between other students in the class.
- Please be mindful of your dog's behavior throughout the class. If your dog is barking excessively or otherwise unruly, you may be excused from class if you are unable to appropriately manage your dog's barking/behavior.
- Arrive a few minutes early so you can set up prior to bringing your dog into the class. Dogs must be kept on leash at all times.
- Please do not allow your dog to interact with other dogs in the class.
- Be sure to take your dog to potty prior to the start of class and clean up after your dog.
- Female dogs in season are not permitted to attend class.
Fee: $125 per dog / 4 week semester
Payment will be required two weeks prior to the start of a class. Unpaid registrations cannot be held and will be given to any student on our waitlist. Classes with less than minimum participation (determined by the number of paid spots) are subject to cancellation. If you have registered for class and can no longer attend, please notify us in writing at least 3 days in advance and we will refund your payment. Refunds cannot be offered once classes begin. Payment options include: cash, checks or PayPal.
HumaneK9 Dog Training
|| Marni Bellavia - HumaneK9 Dog Training