In this class, your dog will begin to learn the basic behaviors needed to safely perform agility obstacles. We will work on training your dog to:
- Build confidence
- Jump correctly
- Move ahead of you
- Focus on what is ahead of them when asked/cued
- Understand their criteria on the contact equipment and perform it with correct technique
We will discuss agility from our dogs’ perspective which will help us understand what it is THEY see when looking at an obstacle, which can be different from what we see. This is critical to keeping your dog safe and ensuring your dog understands what you are asking of them. Additionally, we will work on beginning handling techniques to build confidence in your skills.
This class is more than just teaching agility, it will:
- Strengthen your BOND with each other
- Encourage you to have FUN together
- Teach you SAFE handling skills
Prerequisite: Dogs should already have basic training (sit, down, come, stay and be manageable at all times). No previous agility experience is required.
- Dogs must be non-aggressive towards people and other dogs and must be in good health.
- Female dogs in season are not permitted to attend class.
- All dogs, purebred and mixed breeds are welcome to participate.
4 week semester - $95 per dog
PRIOR TO CLASS
It is recommended that you feed your dog more than an hour before class or wait until after class to feed them. Remember, they will be earning treats throughout the class so you might want to adjust the amount of food you feed them on training days.
ITEMS TO BRING TO CLASS
- Plenty of high value treats that will be visible on grass such as string cheese sliced into circles, hot dogs sliced into circles, mini marshmallows, Cheerios, chicken or turkey. Treats that are dry and crumble are not recommended.
- You may bring toys that do not make noise as a reward. Treat-dispensing velcro pull-apart toys like the Lotus Ball, Kong Ballistic Hide 'N Treat Dog Toy, etc.
- Water for yourself and your dog; water bowl
- Dog crate that your dog will be in when they are not performing. This applies to all classes.
- A properly fitted collar without any tags. No prong, choke or electric shock collars are permitted.
- A 4ft or 6ft leash; No retractable or Flexi leashes are permitted.
- A mat or crate pad for your dog. This should be the size of your dog so your dog can comfortably fit its entire body on it.
- Treat bag; bait bag
- A chair for yourself
- Small battery operated fan, if desired
- Bring appropriate sun protection as this is an outside venue
- Sneakers are required for all classes.
- Set up your crate/space up with enough room in between other students in the class.
- Please be mindful of your dog's behavior throughout the class. If your dog is barking excessively or otherwise unruly, you may be excused from class if you are unable to appropriately manage your dog's barking/behavior.
- Arrive a few minutes early so you can set up prior to bringing your dog into the class.
- Dogs must be kept on leash at all times when they are not working with the trainer.
- Please do not allow your dog to interact with other dogs in the class.
- Be sure to take your dog to potty prior to the start of class and clean up after your dog. Potty area is located on the street swale. There will be a small garbage can located on the side of the garage.
- Videotaping your dog during class is highly encouraged. Please bring a phone/video camera/tripod to record yourself. These videos are for your review only – please do not post any instruction given to social media.
Payment will be required two weeks prior to the start of a class. Unpaid registrations cannot be held and will be given to any student on our waitlist. Classes with less than minimum participation (determined by the number of paid spots) are subject to cancellation. If you have registered for class and can no longer attend, please notify us in writing at least 3 days in advance and we will refund your payment. Refunds cannot be offered once classes begin. Payment options include: cash, checks or PayPal.
HumaneK9 Dog Training
|| Marni Bellavia - HumaneK9 Dog Training