Thank you for your interest in providing and serving a meal for the youth at Volunteers of America's Youth Resource Center! Volunteers prep and serve all of our meals at the Center - breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We greatly appreciate your time and energy, we couldn't do it without our volunteers!
Here are some things to keep in mind if you'd like to sign up for a meal:
- Unlike many other agencies, volunteers at the YRC provide and cook the meal in addition to simply serving it. You may either use the groceries available in our pantry (a list will be provided), or purchase and bring your own as a donation if you would like to provide a meal we do not have the groceries for.
- Group sizes of 10 or less are the best, or else it gets very cramped in our kitchen.
- Volunteers must be ages 16+. 16 and 17 year olds will need to be accompanied by an adult.
- We ask that meals include some form of vegetarian option for clients with food restrictions.
- No photos or video of our clients are permitted. You may take pictures of your group in the kitchen (and we're happy to help take pictures for you!), but please respect the privacy of our clients and ensure they are not included in these pictures.
- Expect approximately 30-50 clients. The amount of youth coming in for a meal varies depending on time of day and the season. Most meals can expect 30-40, but in the harsh winter than number jumps to 50-60.
- Feel free to sit down and eat with the clients once you are finished serving! We encourage you having a chance to chat with them and get to know their stories. This can be the most rewarding part of the experience.
- Clients will take care of cleaning up the cafeteria space, you will be responsible for taking care of cleaning the kitchen, including doing the dishes and wiping down the countertops and cookware.
- Please pack any leftovers into a wrapped or sealed container (we'll provide these) and write the date on them. This helps us keep our refrigerators up to date.
- Remember that the clients are counting on you for a meal. If there is any need to cancel, please try to do so at least 48 hours before you assigned meal so that we can make other arrangements.
Our three meals are served at these times:
- Arrive: 7:30am
- Serve: 8:30am
- Seconds: 9am
- Cleanup: 9:30am
- Arrive: 12pm
- Serve: 1pm
- Seconds: 1:30pm
- Cleanup: 2pm
- Arrive: 5pm
- Serve: 6pm
- Seconds: 6:30pm
- Cleanup: 7pm
If you have any questions, please contact one of our Volunteer Coordinators: