Our Meal Service Program invites individuals and mid-sized community groups to volunteer at our facility by helping with meal prep and service for up to 200 women, who are struggling with homelessness. As a meal service volunteer, you are providing positive community engagement and helping us meet the nutritional needs of the clients. Our kitchen facility can accommodate up to 20 volunteers at a time with plenty of tasks to keep everyone busy. Listed below is an overview of our program and helpful tips to prepare you for this engaging service opportunity.
Meal Service Timeline
- Volunteer arrival time: 7:30AM
- Meal Service begins: 8AM
- Clean-up begins: 9AM
- Volunteer arrival time: 12:30PM
- Meal service begins: 1PM
- Clean up begins: 2PM
- Volunteer arrival time: 5:30PM
- Dinner Service: 6PM
- Clean up begins: 7PM
Meal Service Tasks
- Please arrive on time to ensure we are able to serve meals on time
- Meal Prep (breakfast only): ensure items such as fruit, cereals, milk and coffee/beverages are setup
- Serving: Meal line service (place entrée on the clients’ plates)
- Stocking: Replenish utensils, plates, bowls and cups as needed
- Dishes: Perform routine dishwashing procedures (load and unload dishwasher, put away and restock clean dishes and utensils
- Dining Room: Retrieve and return abandoned trays and dishes to the dish room, wipe down and sanitize dining room tables, floor care
- Clean-up: Breakdown assigned kitchen areas (clean and sanitize countertops & prep stations, empty garbage and recycling bins)
Meal Service Guidelines
- Meal volunteers must be at least 16 years old to be in the kitchen
- Photos with clients are not permitted at any time. See a Volunteer Engagement Team Member for specific photo guidelines.
- Appropriate kitchen attire recommended. For safety, closed toe, rubber soled shoes are considered appropriate footwear in the kitchen.
- Cancellations: If you need to cancel your shift, please do so at least 48 hours in advance.
If you have any questions please contact a Volunteer Engagement Team Member:
Brooke Pyper, Volunteer Engagement Specialist at [email protected] or (801) 718-1872
Michelle Owen, Volunteer Engagement Manager at [email protected] or (801) 718-1767