AP Confirmation Camping Crew
UPDATE (20 Aug 19): We are going to reschedule! I'm grateful for your patience and understanding, but we didn't get as many people involved as we would have liked. Perhaps it was a bit much to schedule for the weekend before school! I'll work with pastor Jon and we'll figure out a better time. Thanks, Neil.
Confirmation family campers. . .We had so much fun in June, we are doing it again! We also look forward to welcoming any of the incoming 1st year confirmand families who would love to join us. Our overall goal is to relax, have fun, spend time together, and maybe eat a little too much tasty camping food! The campground & park has fishing, swimming (river & pool), an outdoor center, and hiking.
This document will serve as our signup, coordination, and whatever else we need it to be.
Who: AP Confirmation Families
What: Camping & Fun
When: Friday Aug 23 - Sunday Aug 25
Where: Westmoreland State Park
Why: Camaraderie and Fun
A few notes:
- Sign up
- Each family that plans on attending please sign up in the RSVP section below (#1)
- Indicate how many people are in your party so we can plan meals accordingly
- If you aren't an avid camper and need help with some of the basics (probably tent or sleeping pads), please indicate that you need help with equipment in the second section below (#2). We'll work together offline to figure out what you need and find it.
- Common Area Equipment
- We need some of the camp site basics (i.e. stoves, cooking equipment, lanterns), but not everybody needs to bring everything
- Please sign up in Section #3 for any of the common equipment you can contribute
- If I forgot any deal breakers (probably) you can either let me know and I will add it to the Signup Genius, or feel free to throw it in your car
- Entertainment! If you have any outdoor games (i.e. horseshoes, footballs, etc), please feel free to bring them along!
- About the campsite
- Westmoreland State Park is approximately 45 minutes east of Fredricksburg, VA
- Here is a map of the park
- The group campsite is in Campground C, which is the first campground on the right after you enter the park. The group site is across from the Campground C bath house.
- The group site is tent only.
- The group site holds up to ~40 people. It's a decent sized open area with plenty of room to spread out tents. There are picnic tables at the site and lantern poles. There is also a large charcoal grill and a large fire ring. There is water nearby the site (by the bath house), but there is no water at the site. There is also no power at the site. We had shade in June, and were very happy with the site overall.
- We will get a pool pass free with our check in.
- Last time we had canine campers with us, so if your family includes camping-loving dogs and you don't want to leave them at home, no worries!
- We will plan to meet at the campsite on Friday. The reservation is in my name (Neil Anderson), and when you pull up to the park entrance, tell the guard you are camping with my group. They should let you in without paying. Once I get there, I'll get us "officially" checked in and get the car passes for everyone.
- Check in begins at 4pm, so depending on work and traffic I will try to be there as soon as I can be on Friday. If you arrive before me, head to the group site and feel free to start setting up.
- Depending on traffic between here and Fredricksburg, it's about two hours to Westmoreland State Park. On a Friday evening, I'd figure 45 to 60 minutes longer than it takes you to get to Fredricksburg. You can also come around on 301 on the Maryland side and cross back over to VA near Dahlgren.
- Once we get to the campsite, we'll focus on setup, dinner, campfire, and whatever other exploring people are interested in.
- Saturday. . .we'll take it as it comes and just have fun.
- Sunday, we'll do breakfast and some sort of service/reflection. . .then pack it up and head home.
- Meals, Food, and Drinks
- Each family should bring a family cooler with water and whatever other drinks for your family and any snacks you would like throughout the day
- We will plan on doing group dinners Friday and Saturday and group breakfasts Saturday and Sunday
- Lunch will be on your own
- Please sign up in Section 4 below for what you can bring to help out with meals. If you could please indicate in the comments what you are bringing within that category, that would be helpful for everyone to see, so we end up with some variety and not 18 bags of Oreos (. . .or is that so bad?)
- Please feel free to bring whatever other food items you would like, no need to sign up
- The only thing I'm certain of, is that I've overlooked something! If there are things you think I need to add, please let me know. Otherwise, hopefully this will give us enough of a framework we can wing it from there
|| Neil Anderson