Capitol Hill United Neighborhoods, in partnership with WalkDenver, will be hosting a “pop-up demonstration event” along 13th Avenue to encourage drivers to slow down and to make the street safer for pedestrians. The projected date for the pop-up is Saturday September 29, 2018 and we need volunteers to help make it happen!
Using Tactical Urbanism, the event is designed to test out methods to slow traffic, improve pedestrian connectivity, and make 13th Avenue a safer and more pleasant street to live, work and play on.
- To test ideas for improving 13th Avenue to be safer for all users.
- Allow community members and business owners to explore their visions for safer and more joyful streets.
- Create discussions that begin from the neighborhood level instead of from the top down
- Foster community cohesion, and bring neighbors together for a fun event!
- To promote CHUN and our valuable work!
(Let's see if we can make this huge and bring Morey Middle School and Safe Routes to School into the planning!)
But we need your help! On Saturday, September 22, we will have a data collection event where we will be measuring vehicle speeds prior to our pop-up event. WalkDenver will be providing handheld radar guns, pens, and paper for volunteers to record how fast cars are going on 13th Ave. We may also need volunteers on that day to help prep materials for the event. Then on Saturday, September 29, we will need volunteers to help set up before the event, monitor and collect surveys during the event, and help tear down after the event. Sign up to volunteer and please help us spread the word! Details about the event and volunteer activities coming soon!
|| Jill Locantore