Selwyn Avenue Presbyterian Church
Tutoring and other opportunities:
1) HELPS Tutoring is a new program at Montclaire. It is sponsored by Read Charlotte and is specifically aimed at improving reading fluency and comprehension. HELPS stands for Helping Early Literacy with Practice Strategies. The tutor works one-on-one with students for 10-15 minutes, and can tutor 2 or 3 students in 1 hour. A 3 hour training session is provided, along with continued support. The volunteer time slots are:
Wednesday 10:30am 1 slot
Friday 10:30am 4 slots
Please contact Ellen Harris at [email protected] for more information.
Or sign up online at http://signup.com/go/FqQyXBq and do two steps:
A) Scroll to the bottom to "HELPS Tutor Training". Click View, and then sign up for a Training Session. Next, enter your contact information and specify Montclaire Elementary as your school.
B) Return to http://signup.com/go/FqQyXBq and scroll to Montclaire Elementary and sign up for a tutoring time slot. Please contact John Lemmon at the email below with questions about online signup.
2) Teacher Partners: This volunteer opportunity is a wonderful way to support an individual teacher in a manner that is most helpful to that teacher. The schedule would be worked out between the teacher and volunteer. Tasks might include helping with parties, cutting out die pieces, working on bulletin boards, etc. You can talk with Townley Moon, Susan, Flynn, Kim Lee or Rebecca Cooper to find out what the experience has meant to them.
Please contact Ellen Harris at [email protected] for additional information or to sign up.
3) HEART Math Tutoring: Recently three slots have opened up at Montclaire for HEART Math Tutors, two slots during the 7:45-8:45 AM hour and one 30 minute slot at 12:45; you can select any weekday except Friday as your tutoring day.
To sign up or get more information contact Cydney Kramer at [email protected].
4) Augustine Literacy Project tutors change lives by helping teach students to read. Visit Augustine Literacy Project for more information. Please talk with any of these Selwyn members who have served as Augustine tutors: Nancy Bobbitt, Beth Carter, Eleanor Hahn, Eleanor Moore, Malyn Pratt, and Allison Tibe.
- Winter Training Class:
- January 28th through February 1st, & February 5th, 7th (7 days)
- For more information or to RSVP, email [email protected]
All Selwyn Avenue Presbyterian members who volunteer to work with children during the school year should take our church's Child Protection Training every 3 years. Please look out for publicity about future training sessions.
Click below to email John Lemmon if you have any questions.