Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division
Lesson Purpose: To provide the participant with the skills necessary to identify a hazardous materials incident, implement proper notification, and identify immediate threats to themselves and others through the use of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG).
Training Objectives: At the end of this block of instruction, the participant will be able to achieve the following objectives in accordance with the information presented during the instructional period:
- Define “hazardous materials” and the risks associated with them during a hazardous materials incident.
- Describe the duties of an awareness-level first responder at the scene of a hazardous materials incident.
- List methods used to recognize the presence of a hazardous material, to include the identification of the possible material or substance based on readily available clues.
- Demonstrate the ability to use the DOT Emergency Response Guidebook in identifying a hazardous material and appropriate first responder actions, to include notifying additional resources.
- Recognize hazards when responding to potential incidents involving illicit drug laboratories and chemical suicides and how to implement appropriate protective measures.
Hours/Credits: Two (2)
Students will need to create a Moodle account at http://cecourses.pittcc.edu/
Requested courses will be added to the student's Moodle account within 2-3 business days.
New Pitt Community College students will need to complete the student data form provided below and submit to our training division; [email protected] or fax to 252-321-4549.
|| Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division