Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division
Lesson Purpose: To provide the participant with the skills necessary to identify a hazardous materials incident, implement proper notification, and identify immediate threats to themselves and others through the use of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG).
Training Objectives: At the end of this block of instruction, the participant will be able to achieve the following objectives in accordance with the information presented during the instructional period:
1. Define “hazardous materials” and the risks associated with them during a hazardous materials incident.
2. Describe the duties of an awareness-level first responder at the scene of a hazardous materials incident.
3. List methods used to recognize the presence of a hazardous material, to include the identification of the possible material or substance based on readily available clues.
4. Demonstrate the ability to use the DOT Emergency Response Guidebook in identifying a hazardous material and appropriate first responder actions, to include notifying additional resources.
5. Recognize hazards when responding to potential incidents involving illicit drug laboratories and chemical suicides and how to implement appropriate protective measures.
Agency training coordinators, please contact our staff at [email protected] to expedite the enrollment process for your agency!!
|| Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division