Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division
Lesson Purpose: The purpose of this lesson plan was created to assist officers in acquiring a better understanding of the deaf and hard of hearing along with best practices in ensuring effective communication with this group.
Training Objectives: At the end of this block of instruction, the participant will be able to achieve the following objectives in accordance with the information presented during the instructional period:
1. List and describe the four (4) categories of deaf individuals.
2. Name the most common behaviors deaf or hard of hearing individuals display when trying to communicate during a stressful situation.
3. Explain and identify legislation enacted to improve communication between the deaf or hard of hearing and the law enforcement community.
4. Define auxiliary aids and how these aids can be used to effectively communicate with individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing.
5. Provide a minimum of two (2) approaches law enforcement agencies can adopt to more effectively communicate with the deaf or hard of hearing.
Hours/Credits: Two (2)
Instructional Method: Traditional, Lecture, Discussion
Location: PCC Law Enforcement Training Facility, 2096 Central Park Drive, Winterville, NC 28590
Instructor: Matthew McKnight
Time: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
|| Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division