Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division
This 80 hour course will provide students with the skills necessary to conduct enforcement activities associated with search warrants, warrantless searches, interviews, eyewitness identifications, and nontestimonial identification orders, and how to avoid liability while conducting such activities.
Course objectives include:
- Draft a valid search warrant
- Lawfully execute a search warrant.
- Lawfully conduct warrantless searches.
- Conduct interviews lawfully during an investigative detention or arrest situation
- Apply noncustodial interview procedures to obtain lawful confessions
- Conduct nontestimonial and eyewitness identification procedures in accordance with applicable law
- Conduct a valid investigative stop and frisk and a lawful arrest, using proper basis, parameters and use of force
- Determine whether non-lethal and deadly force may lawfully be used in given fact situations
- Identify the steps an officer may take to defend against a liability action.
*This course is sanctioned by the North Carolina Justice Academy
Required readings and additional assignments will need to be completed outside of scheduled class hours.
PCC has 20 sets of manuals that students may borrow while enrolled in the course; however, if a student would prefer to highlight and make notes during class, it is recommended that they purchase their own set of RED and GREEN PLI manuals prior to class!
**Required text may be purchased at the PCC bookstore or NC Justice Academy.
- 2016 Arrest, Search, and Investigation textbook (5th edition) with supplement, written by Robert Farb and published by the UNC School of Government
- Police Law Institute RED and GREEN student manuals
Please bring all required texts and a laptop to class on the first day!
Dates: January 21, 2020 - January 31, 2020
Instructor Andrew Tallmer, Esq.
8:00am - 5:00pm EDT
PCC Law Enforcement Training Center, 2096 Central Park Drive, Winterville, NC 28590
|| Pitt Community College Law Enforcement Training Division