Ridge Forensics Judges
Welcome Ridge Forensics Judges.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE SELECTING YOUR DATES.
1. You can sign up for all 3 at one time; however, please note that if you change at the last minute, we may not be able to find a replacement.
2. Please consider where vacancies exist. While many parents prefer to judge at Ridge, we desperately need help at the other tournaments, particularly NYC and PA.
3. We usually have a very difficult time finding debate judges (LD and PF). If you're willing to learn, we could really use the help.
4. Tournaments are all-day affairs. Please plan on being present from Round I through the final rounds. We get fined when judges leave early (even with advance notice).
5. Please let us know if you need additional help with ballot writing. The students crave your feedback; we want to ensure you feel confident providing thoughtful and insightful ballots. REMEMBER: Your ballot might be the reason they get on the bus next week!
6. Please make an account at www.tabroom.com. https://www.tabroom.com/user/login/new_user.mhtml This will help us schedule you for tournaments where online balloting is utilized.
Deadline to signup to judge tournaments is the Monday at 10:00am preceding the event. Even if spots are still open, we may have already contracted the spot to a hired judge.
Signing up in an available spots does not guarantee selection. Our judging needs are dependent on how many entries we have at a particular event.
- In order to be a judge you must have high school diploma, be proficient in English and able to write a thorough and detailed ballot. Several judge trainings are offered during the fall with one additional in the winter. We also encourage new judges to attend a tournament where they can 'shadow' a judge to experience the full judging experience. Visit www.ridgeforensics.com for more information.
- The dates you choose are considered 'requests' until filled and confirmed by Mrs. Fletcher. Depending on the number of students who are competing, we may have more judges than needed (although this is unlikely). You will receive a reminder email from Sign-up Genius 6 days prior to the event; however, Mr. Yastremski will send a confirmation after entries are due on the Wednesday before the event.
- Mr. Yastremski will make the final decisions regarding location based upon our judging needs. We typically have parents judge at the site where their child will be competing; however, the judging requirements/entry numbers may factor into your assigned location.
- Please sign up for 3 tournaments during the year. All judges must be available for the duration of the event. There are no 1/2 assignments. Each listing is considered one tournament. Please include your child's name.
- You are encouraged to bring some work with you, a book, since you may have one or more rounds off; however, you may be needed for every round during the day.
- To offer the most variety to other parents, we ask that you abide by the following:
- Please do not select more than 2 Ridge tournaments.
- Please pick at least one tournament that is more than 20 miles from Ridge (particularly Phillipsburg, Freehold, TCNJ, or Southern Lehigh)
- Please let us know if you can ride a bus. Buses depart Ridge at 7:30am for most events.
- PLEASE do not cancel at the last minute unless an unforeseen circumstance arises. If you can arrange for a trade with another parent, please be sure they can cover the same events. The tournaments will fine us up to $200+ if we need to drop a judge after registration closes.
- We may reach out at specific times of the year if we are in need of more judges. If you're willing to help us out with more than your required amount, we would greatly appreciate it.
- Remember, grandparents, aunts/uncles, and neighbors are also welcome as long as they're willing and trained!
|| Ridge Forensics