Father Richard and the OLMC Knights of Columbus will hold BLOOD DRIVES on Saturday, August 29 and Sunday, August 30 2020! Thank you to those who have already donated blood and helped us coordinate! The Blood Center of Indiana will be holding our next Blood Drive at the Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish Hall on Saturday, August 29 from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM and Sunday, August 30 from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM. Their target audience for giving blood is "older high school and college students". The Knights of Columbus is in need of a few healthy and willing volunteers for coodination. The slots below are for our volunteer needs. Please click on the button to sign up to volunteer. WE CANNOT TAKE WALK-INS IN ORDER TO ACCOMODATE THE REQUIRED 6 Foot DISTANCE BETWEEN PEOPLE. Thank you!
**EACH PERSON WILL NEED TO WEAR A MASK WHEN DONATING*** One will be provided if you forget!
Here is the link to sign up with the Blood Center of Indiana to donate blood.
Donate link for SATURDAY, August 29 from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM:
Donate link for SUNDAY, August 30 from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM:
There will be even strickter guidelines in place.
Blood Drives and Blood Donation Are Safe
* Antibody Testing for All Donors*
- The antibody test will be provided to all donors. This test will be done automatically as part of the donation and there is no opt-out for donors.
- The antibody testing is in addition to what Versiti already provides with its FDA mandated infectious disease testing for all blood donations.
- The test will inform a donor if they have antibodies reflective of a prior COVID-19 infection.
- The test is not used to inform donors if they currently have COVID-19.
- Versiti is unable to provide antibody testing without a blood donation and cannot accept walk-ins solely desiring the SARS CoV-2 test.
Click Here for Q&A of Versiti COVID19 Antibody Test
Rest assured, Versiti takes every precaution when it comes to donor and patient safety (more information below). The donation process itself poses no risk of infecting a donor with coronavirus. Donors should be reassured that attending organized blood drives is safe. Coronavirus is currently not known to infect patients through blood transfusions.
Donor Health & Registration:
· All donor-facing staff will have their temperature taken prior to beginning their work day
· Donors temperatures will be taken at registration to ensure they are not elevated prior to entering donation areas
· Donors will be asked if they are currently experiencing coughing or shortness of breath
· Donors will be asked if they have recently traveled to high-risk countries as defined by the CDC
· If any of the above is true, donors will be asked to self-defer
· We encourage all donors to make an appointment to lessen the amount of people waiting at our blood drives
· Ensuring six feet of space between chairs in waiting areas and cafe
· Ensuring six feet of space between donation chairs and/or separation with medical screens
· We will ask for your cell phone number and text when your appointment is ready
· We clean all equipment, beds, and other surfaces after each donor finishes their donation
· Changing gloves frequently and between donors is part of our normal practice
· We will maintain sanitized pen bins, so donors are only using clean pens at sign-in
A Note on Travel
If the outbreak of coronavirus expands, travel-based restrictions could potentially reduce the number of eligible donors and measures suggested to reduce exposure to other people could disrupt community blood drives and donations at centers. Public health officials are supporting continuation of blood donation as critical to health care in our communities. Since it is the blood currently on hand that saves lives, maintaining a sufficient blood supply is essential to ensure patients in need receive optimal treatment.
Versiti is asking donors who have travelled to China, Iran, South Korea or Italy, to self-defer from donation for 28 days from their date of return. These countries are in line with the current CDC travel guidelines.
For more information about Versiti and COVID-19, please visit:
Questions can be answered by Knight Patrick Schwartz - [email protected]
Outstanding Volunteer Shelly Theime - [email protected]
Outstanding Volunteer Melissa Shelton - [email protected]