Highway 9 Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety
At the Regional Transportation Commission’s next meeting on Thursday, 4/4, during the open comment period, we need you in the audience as a show of support for the Highway 9 safety improvements we are requesting for pedestrians and cyclists.
What to expect: We will gather in the City Council Chambers in Watsonville (4th floor). A couple of us will make prepared remarks during the "Oral Communications" time near the beginning of the agenda. We'll present the results of a petition on which we've gathered over 1,400 signatures urging that Highway 9 safety measures be expedited in the wake of the tragedy of Josh Howard's recent death. We will ask everyone who is there in support to stand up as evidence to the commissioners of how many from SLV took the time to be there in memory of Josh. We'll all remain standing for a moment of silence. We have been told this is the best way at the moment to demonstrate our community will in support of the changes we need.
The meeting starts at 9; we should be done with our part by 9:30 so you can get back to work and on with your days.
We know it's a haul to Watsonville, but so does the RTC, so your presence there on a weekday morning will be seen as significant. The more who can attend, the more impactful it will be, so please help us spread the word about this.
Supervisor McPherson and Assemblymember Mark Stone are convening agency decision makers two weeks after this meeting to explore what improvements can be made as quickly as possible. Our show of support will give their work a strong boost of political will. RTC staff developed plans for some key improvements in the draft Highway 9 Complete Streets Plan that was presented to the community not long ago. With demonstrated community support, we hope to increase the momentum to get those projects started as quickly as possible.
Here are the details you'll need to join us:
- What: Show of support for pedestrian/cyclist safety on Highway 9
- Where: Watsonville City Council Chambers, 275 Main St #400, Watsonville, CA 95076
- Parking: There is free two-hour parking in the lot next to City Hall, and if you park on the top level, that leads into the part of the building where the Council Chambers are.
- When: Thursday April 4, 9:00 AM
- Can’t make it? Share your thoughts with the RTC: [email protected]; use the subject line: Highway 9 safety or sign the petition before 4/4 at https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/safe-pedestriancyclist-route-for-highway-9
9:00am - 9:30am PDT
WatsonvilleCity Council Chambers, 275 Main St #400, Watsonville, CA 95076