2021 Fall Tour Volunteers
Guests will visit 4-6 private Piazzas and Gardens. No interiors are included
Ansonborough was developed as one of the first suburbs of the city. Located to the north of a small creek near current Market Street, the land in this neighborhood was acquired by its namesake, Captain George Anson, in 1724. For the next 20 years, Anson continued to captain one of his two ships, the Scarborough and the Squirrel, protecting the South Carolina and Georgia shorelines from pirates and looters. In 1745 he returned, having netted over 300,000 English pounds in treasure, and laid his land out in streets and lots.
In 1838 one of the most destructive fires in Charleston’s history swept through the city impacting Ansonborough most heavily. The swath of destruction covered 150 acres and at least 1,100 buildings. Today, only a few of Ansonborough’s late 18th and early 19th century buildings remain. The rest of today’s existing homes were built of Charleston brick in the mid-1800s.
Throughout the next century, Ansonborough fell into slum conditions and it was not until 1960 that extensive rehabilitation began. Upon the completion, this restoration initiative became known on a national level as an outstanding example of neighborhood revitalization. Today, this borough of downtown Charleston is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city.
2:00pm - 5:00pm EDT
|| Preservation Society of Charleston