2021 Fall Tour Volunteers
Guests will visit 4-6 private Piazzas and Gardens. No interiors are included
Although tradition holds that Tradd Street was named for Robert Tradd, the supposed first person of European descent born in the Province, it is more likely that Tradd Street was named after his father Richard Tradd who was living on the northeast corner of present-day East Bay and Tradd Streets by 1679. Because of its proximity to the wharves, Tradd Street historically was a mixed-use thoroughfare with merchants’ shops occupying many of the dwellings’ ground floor spaces.
From East Bay west to Greenhill Street, Tradd Street is located on some of the most elevated land on this portion of the Peninsula, thus its early settlement. Some of the oldest architecture in the city still exists on the easternmost end of the street, that portion once located within the walled city. West of Greenhill Street, however, much of present-day Tradd occupies low-lying, in-filled land.
A small, triangular parcel of land was developed in 1792 between two tidal creeks. Known as Savage’s Green, this wedge was bounded by Savage and New Streets and provided space for a theater which succumbed to the great fire of December 1861. Much of the north side of Tradd Street on its western end was destroyed by that conflagration. Starting on the Cooper River just north of Market Street, the fire blazed a slight southwestward path through this area to the Ashley River, devastating a large swath of the middle peninsula. The neighborhood was primarily rebuilt between 1870 and 1890 in a variety of architectural styles.
2:00pm - 5:00pm EDT
|| Preservation Society of Charleston