Dearborn Youth Symphony
Dearborn Youth Symphony
Scholarship, Solo & Concerto Competition Auditions
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Ford Community & Performing Arts Center
DYS hosts an annual Scholarship, Solo & Concerto Competition exclusively for its musicians. Auditions are held each January at the Ford Community & Performing Arts Center, and adjudicators from outside the organization are enlisted to evaluate the musicians. Each applicant receives a written evaluation by the adjudicators of the audition. Ultimately, attendance, attitude and overall contribution to the ensemble will be strongly considered.
Soloist winners will perform at the March concert. The Concerto winner will perform with the Symphony Orchestra at the May concert. Scholarships are also presented at the May concert. Each concert season, DYS awards thousands of dollars in scholarships to our member musicians.
- Applicants must be a DYS member in good standing.
- Applicants may play with sheet music at time of audition but piece must be memorized at time of performance.
- Applicants must have performed in the first concert of the season and anticipate performing in the second and third. Scholarships will only be awarded to musicians who participate in all three concerts.
Musicians are allotted one audition appointment on one orchestral instrument. All applicants are eligible to compete for a scholarship. In addition, they may also apply for the following, but are not required to do so:
- Solo – String Orchestra, Intermediate Flute Choir and Concert Orchestra
- Concerto – Advanced Flute Choir and Symphony Orchestra
The one audition will be used for all registered competitions. Musicians will have the opportunity choose if they would like to audition for the solo, concerto and/or scholarship when completing the audition registration.
- Prepare an appropriate, polished, classical music piece for your skill level.
- The piece or excerpt from the piece should be long enough for the adjudicators to assess your skill level but not longer than 5 minutes.
- Bring three copies of your sheet music to the audition. These can be photocopies. Originals are not necessary.
- Accompaniment is not allowed for the audition.
- Only choose one audition spot per member.
- Choose the appropriate audition room for the ensemble you play in. The rooms are separated in Intermediate flute/string orchestra/concert orchestra and advanced flute/symphony orchestra.
- Scroll down this page and choose an available time slot for your audition.
- Check the sign up box next to the time slot desired then click "Submit and Sign Up" at the bottom of the page.
- Fill out the required information including person auditioning, instrument, email, & phone number.
- Click Sign Up Now!
- Please feel free to email us at [email protected] or send us a Facebook message if you have any questions or need help.
Please feel free to print and fill out the attached form below and bring it with you to your audition.
|| Brian Hamblin