Slow Food Volunteers
Join Slow Food Denver and Grow Local Colorado for a morning of tending to the gardens at Civic Center Park. We will be weeding, planting, harvesting and enjoying the Denver morning sun.
Grow Local Colorado and Slow Food Denver began their long-standing partnership at Civic Center Park back in 2009. The connection began when Grow Local Colorado acquired a garden plot within the park. These two organizations worked together to plant and maintain the garden bed. In fact, Slow Food Denver provided the garden design and many of the plants. What started off as a single garden plot has now grown to 8 garden plots and 2 perennial beds.
These gardens are grown to not only demonstrate growing food in high traffic areas, but they provide fresh food for those experiencing food insecurity. Anything harvested will go to one of our partnering food relief organizations. (SAME Cafe, Metro Caring, The Gathering Place). What's better than harvesting fresh, organic produce? DONATING fresh, organic produce to those in need!
- Please wear close-toed shoes, a hat and appropriate clothing for getting dirty.
- Bring water for yourself.
- There is a porta potty nearby close to the McNichols building to the north of the garden. BUT it’s not always there or open, especially since COVID. These mornings usually last around 90 minutes so it is suggested to use a restroom prior to the event.
- Give yourself a few extra minutes for parking. There is metered parking along or near Bannock and 14th Ave or you can ride a bike into the park.
- You do not have to have previous gardening experience to volunteer. All are welcome!
** Important Information: Metro Caring, SAME CAfe and The Gathering Place rely on our produce donations each week. if you signup and cannot make the event please cancel or reschedule so that someone else may fill your spot. It's very important that we have everyone there. There's lots of gardening to tend to! For any questions please email Annie at [email protected] Thank you!
|| Slow Food Denver