Theater To Go
THEATER TO GO will be holding auditions for their January 2020 production of CABARET
CABARET (1998 version)
Book by James Masteroff
Based on the play by John Van Druten and stories by Christopher Isherwood
Music by John Kander
Lyrics by Fred Ebb
Director: Ruth Markoe
Music Director: Israel "Buzz" Herman
Choreographer: Haley Schmalbach
Stage Manager: Dennis Tolentino
All auditions, rehearsals and performances will be at Kelsey Theatre in West Windsor NJ
All roles are Non-Equity, unpaid
- Kelsey Theatre (at MCCC) 1200 Old Trenton Rd, West Windsor NJ 08550
- In the CM Building immediately behind Kelsey Theatre. Look for signs for CABARET AUDITIONS
AUDITION DATES & TIMES
- Sunday October 27: 11 am-3 pm
- Monday October 28: 7-10 pm
- Fridays, January 31 & February 7, 2020 at 8 pm
- Saturdays, February 1 & 8, 2020 at 8 pm
- Sundays, February 2 & 9, 2020 at 2 pm
- Rehearsals will begin in November and will be held Sundays from 1-5 pm, and 2 weekdays from 7-10 pm, exact days will be determined by cast schedule.
- Tech week (attendance is required): January 26-30
- Audition forms can be filled out ahead of time (will be emailed out the week prior) or at the time of your audition.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your slot if you need to complete an audition form on site. (Minimum age requirement: 17 years old)
- Bring a headshot (or similar photo) and resume, or send via email to [email protected]
- Know your conflicts to list on the audition sheet. Please be thorough.
- Vocal Audition: Please prepare 16-32 bars of a favorite or a jazz standard and please bring music in the proper key.
- Dance Call: Please wear comfortable dance clothing and appropriate footwear. Character shoes encouraged but not required.
- Principal Roles: Please prepare a short monologue no more than 2 minutes. You will also be asked to sing and possibly to learn a few dance steps.
- Please be prepared to stay for up to an hour
Please bring a photo and resume, or email to [email protected] in advance of the audition
If you are unable to make the audition, please email [email protected] to make arrangements
EMAIL [email protected]
For questions or comments please contact [email protected]
Set in 1931 Berlin, as the Nazis are rising to power, is set in the cabaret underworld on the eve of Hitler’s rise to power. This unforgettable musical tells the story of Cliff Bradshaw, a young American writer newly arrived in Berlin, and his relationship with cabaret singer Sally Bowles. Their relationship blossoms amid the back room culture of the cabaret and the tumultuous atmosphere of pre-Nazi Germany. Cabaret is a raw and powerful jazz musical that explores the dark life of Berlin’s natives and expatriates as Germany slowly yields to the emerging Third Reich. The show has had numerous Broadway and London revivals and is the winner of multiple Tony Awards, including Best Musical and Best Original Score for Kander and Ebb’s compelling musical numbers which include, “Willkommen”, “Money”, “Tomorrow Belongs To Me”, “Maybe This Time”, and “Cabaret”. Come to the Cabaret, your table’s waiting!
Emcee, Lead, Male/Female 20-50
Vocal range: middle C to high C#, tenor; the host/master of ceremonies at the Kit Kat Klub--presented as a gender-questionable character comfortable with being close to both men and women; comedic, lovable; requires agile stage movement and dance; age range and appearance flexible, speaks with a German accent.
Sally Bowles, Lead, Female, 20-35
Vocal range: low A to high C, soprano, strong belt; a British cabaret singer at the Kit Kat Klub, a quirky character who comes across as flighty, yet at times struggles with knowing the darkness of the reality of her life as a cabaret performer; comfortable with stage movement and light dance; speaks with a British accent.
Clifford (Cliff) Bradshaw, Lead, Male, 20-35
Vocal range: low A to high E, tenor; an American novelist and English teacher traveling to Berlin; presented as a closeted gay man exploring his sexuality; comfortable with stage movement and light dance; speaks with an American accent.
Fraulein Schneider, Supporting, Female, 50+
Vocal range: low D to Ab above middle C, alto; a landlady who rents rooms in her large flat; comfortable with stage movement and light dance (waltz); speaks with a German accent.
Herr Schultz, Supporting, Male, 50+
Vocal range: low G to high F, tenor; one of Fraulein Schneider’s roomers and the proprietor of a fruit shop; comfortable with stage movement and light dance; speaks with a German accent.
Fraulein Kost, Supporting, Female, 25-40
Vocal range: low A flat to high F, alto/mezzo; another of Fraulein Schneider’s roomers, she earns money by offering favors to sailors, presentation of the character should exhibit a strong sexual comfort and commanding nature; comfortable with stage movement; speaks with a German accent.
Ernst Ludwig, Supporting, Male, 20-50
Sings in the chorus, vocal range flexible; a friendly and likable German, takes English lessons from Cliff, and smuggles funds for the Nazi party; comfortable with stage movement and light dance (waltz); age range is flexible, speaks with a German accent.
Kit Kat Klub Girls, Ensemble, Female, 18-35
Various featured roles; seeking strong singers in all voice parts; the individuals will also be part of various scenes as performers and as club patrons; the ladies can be of various shapes and sizes--the key is that they are comfortable with their femininity and scanty costumes that show off sex appeal; features (“Two Ladies”, “Telephone Dance”, etc.) will be drawn from this group; excellent dance skills required.
Kit Kat Klub Boys, Ensemble, Males & Females, 18-34
Various features; seeking strong singers in all voice parts; should be comfortable with portraying free in gender depictions; features (Bobby, Victor, “Tomorrow Belongs to Me”, etc.) will be drawn from this group; excellent dance skills required.
About Theater To Go:
Website: www.TheaterToGo.com FB: www.Facebook.com/TheaterToGoNJ
Theater To Go, under the leadership of Ruth Markoe, began in 1992 and has been providing quality entertainment in NJ and regionally since then. It is best known for audience participation murder mysteries and other interactive comedy theater however has expanded to include full-length plays and staged readings. T2G produced the award winning production of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, Mark Violi’s historical drama ROEBLING: THE STORY OF THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE, RIDING THE COMET at the NY Theater Festival Summerfest and A RAISIN IN THE SUN at Kelsey Theatre
Please review the available slots below and click on the button to sign up. Thank you!
1200 Old Trenton Rd, West Windsor, New Jersey 08550