Firehouse Theater Company
Firehouse Theater Company is pleased to announce auditions for the regional premier of Ada and the Engine by Lauren Gunderson, directed by Jay Louden.
Show runs 3/28-4/25. Rehearsals start mid-February.
Auditions will be Saturday January 11th from 1pm-4pm @ the John Hand Theater (7653 E. 1st Pl.). Callbacks are Sunday, January 12 from 10 to noon.
"As the British Industrial Revolution dawns, young Ada Byron Lovelace (daughter of the flamboyant and notorious Lord Byron) sees the boundless creative potential in the “analytic engines” of her friend and soul mate Charles Babbage, inventor of the first mechanical computer. Ada envisions a whole new world where art and information converge—a world she might not live to see. A music-laced story of love, friendship, and the edgiest dreams of the future. Jane Austen meets Steve Jobs in this poignant pre-tech romance heralding the computer age."
A 2-minute dramatic monologue
Bring a headshot and a resume
Sign up for a five-minute audition slot
- ADA BYRON LOVELACE - (18-36) Curious, funny, brilliant. A woman of our time stuck in hers.
- *LADY ANABELLA BYRON - (35-55) Ada's mother, harsh, jealous, but realistic.
- CHARLES BABBAGE - (40-60) Ada's soul mate and louded genius of London. A dreamer almost perfect for Ada.
- +LORD LOVELACE - (25-45) Ada's husband. A proud, wanting man. Not madly in love with Ada but she'll do.
- *MARY SOMMERVILLE - (40-60) Pragmatic, sharply friendly, someone who will tell you when you're wrong.
- +BYRON - (36) Charming, darkly funny, unpredictable, brooding but self-aware. A poet.
* roles will be double cast
+roles will be double cast
If you would like a PDF of the schript, email [email protected]
All characters are British
Callbacks will be held on Sunday, January 12th from 10am-12p
Please make note of any known or possible conflicts
There will be a read-through on February 3 at 6:30pm
The bulk of the rehearsals will be Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 6:30-9:30 and Saturdays 10:00 to 2:00/.
The production opens on March 28 and closes on April 25