Distance Education Training
The Distance Education department welcomes you to our Online Special Expertise (OSE) certificate course sign-up page. Like most online courses, OSE is a six-week, instructor-guided, asynchronous course delivered through our learning management system, Canvas. Be prepared to spend 6-8 hours per week on this course.
OSE is not an introductory course. To be successful in this course, prior Canvas experience is strongly recommended. If you have not had experience with Canvas and/or teaching online, please consider one (or more) of these options before taking OSE:
By the end of OSE, you will:
- Customize a distance learning course using strategies to increase student engagement
- Create and organize instructional material to promote active and engaged students
- Apply strategies and use tools for designing activities that support engagement and collaboration between students online
- Design a course discussion using instructional techniques that foster an environment for online collaboration between students
- Develop an assessment, utilizing technology to assist with feedback
- Identify resources and tools to address accessibility needs that arise when developing a distance learning course
- Recognize and apply federal and state distance education guidelines
- Apply effective instructional design practices by creating one complete instructional module to be used in your course
Please don't forget to add [email protected] to your address book so that our emails don't end up in your Junk folder!