Baltimore City ASA
Join ASA members in Baltimore City for our fun group runs!
We will train April through November, weather permitting.
CITY COMMUNITY COORDINATOR CONTACT
Emily Cole - 410-707-7311
Our goals for group training runs are simple: have fun, be safe, build relationships, feel race-ready.
Whether you come to one training or all of them, this is an opportunity to connect as a community with athletes, captains, wingmen, and parents. This is a safe and open place to learn more about ASA, practice pushing an athlete in our adaptive equipment, practice running together as a team, and ask any questions you may have. We want everyone to feel as comfortable and prepared as possible before heading into a race.
NOTE - our training runs do not take the place of training and preparing for various race distances. You are responsible for training and being physically prepared to run your intended race distance. ASA trainings are intended to provide an opportunity to train with a wingman team (athlete, captain, wingmen).
RUN LOCATION AND TIME
We run in Patterson Park. Our starting location is at the park entrance at the corners of Eastern Ave and Linwood Ave. We run on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month. Meet at 6:15pm, running by 6:30pm. We have some Saturday sessions available as well, check the sign-up for these dates. On Saturdays, we will meet at 8:45am, running by 9:00am.
Wingmen and Athletes - meet at the park entrance at the corner of Eastern and Linwood, 15 minutes prior to start time (6:15pm Thurs or 8:45am Sat). Parents/athletes, we will meet you at the entrance with equipment. Call/text a coordinator if you would like a captain to meet you at your car with a jogger.
Captains - meet at the City ASA Garage at 6:00pm (Thurs) or 8:30am (Sat) to build equipment. 600 block of Ellwood Avenue, between Foster and Fleet streets. We will need your help to build joggers and walk them over to the park.
Parking can be found on streets surrounding the park. Parking is free, 24/7, but is first come, first serve. Please allow time to find parking. If you are running late or need help, please call/text a coordinator.
Our group typically runs 3 laps around the park, totally 3-3.5 miles and providing you experience with hills.
RSVP via our online Sign Up Software at least 24 hours in advance.
(Make sure you create a profile so that you can log back in and change availability if need be.)
MISSION BBQ DINNERS
Once a month after training, we encourage participants to gather at Mission BBQ in Canton Crossing for dinner. This follows the last training of the month. We usually arrive there at 7:30pm following training. Order what you want, stay as long as you can!
If you are a new WM, please follow these steps:
1. Review the FAQs and detailed Program Information at http://www.athletesservingathletes.org/wm-faqs.html
2. Complete a WingMan Application. (Returning WingMen can skip this step.)
3. The ASA WingMan Program Director will be in touch once application is received.
4. Pick a race with the help of your area WingManager
5. Start a fundraising page and share your experience with your friends, family and co-workers and encourage them to support you and even join you! Fundraising page link: http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1178481
6. Attend one or more training sessions to meet athletes and become familiar with the running equipment.
7. Sport your issued Team ASA running top in any race as you cross the Finish line with others and FOR others!
|| Christine Johnson