Holiday giving brings the warmth of the season to our youth participants. Each year, our advocates help youth write a wish list that is comprised of 2-3 items they would like to receive during our holiday parties, and on Christmas day (for the youth who stay in our E-beds and would like to celebrate the Christmas holiday).
We rely greatly on the generosity of our volunteers, partners and members of the community to make holiday giving a special one for each youth every year. Holiday Giving provides you the opportunity to donate gifts, host a Giving Tree and provide a meal.
Please read the descriptions below for more information on IHYC's Holiday Giving opportunities. Thank you for your support!
ADOPT A FAMILY or YOUTH:
Celebrate the spirit of giving by adopting a family or a youth this holiday season. This opportunity costs approximately $75. Upon signing-up to adopt a family or a youth, you will receive the wish list and are then asked to purchase 2-3 gifts and a gift card from their wish list.
Wish lists will be emailed to sponsors by November 19th, just in time for holiday shopping. Individuals and organizations are encouraged to adopt one or more families or youth.
Gifts for this opportunity must be delivered to 612 Locust Street, Des Moines, IA by December 13th to ensure they are here before the holiday parties.
DONATE A HOLIDAY BOX & BACKPACK:
This is a gift for our Outreach Youth. This opportunity costs approximately $75. These gifts help cover their immediate needs, as well as provide them with some fun personal items. Upon signing-up to donate a holiday box & backpack, you will receive an email with more information within 1-2 business days. This donation must include:
- (1) Backpack
- (1) Full Sized Shampoo
- (1) Full Sized Conditioner
- (1) Full Sized Body Wash
- (1) Pair of Earbuds
- (2) Snacks (Beef Jerky/Chips/Etc.)
- (1) Full Sized Gatorade
- (1) Winter Stocking Cap
- (1) Pair of Winter Gloves or Mittens; scarf
- (1) $20 gift card to HyVee, Walmart or Walgreens
- (1) Personal Item (Make-up Kit, Perfume, Wallet, Shave Kit, Bath Set, etc.)
- (1) Household Item (Board game, Blanket, Movies, etc.)
- (1) Self-Care Item (Coloring Book, Journal, Fidget items, etc.)
Gifts for this opportunity must be delivered to 612 Locust Street, Des Moines, IA by December 10th to ensure they are here before the holiday parties.
HOST A GIVING TREE:
Schools, churches and organizations are encouraged to host a Giving Tree for Iowa Homeless Youth Centers. Please contact Development Coordinator, Blake Willadsen, at [email protected] or 515-883-2379 to reserve your IHYC Giving Tree.
As a giving tree location, you will receive paper ornaments with gift items listed on them. These ornaments will be hung on the holiday giving tree for individuals to take and to purchase and/or donate the item listed on the ornament.
Items must be collected and dropped off to IHYC located at 612 Locust Street, Des Moines by December 10th. Giving Tree items are listed under the Wish List section below.
DONATE A WISH LIST ITEM
Please consider donating a wish list item. Unwrapped items must be dropped off to IHYC located at 612 Locust Street, Des Moines by December 13th.
WISH LIST ITEMS:
- Feminine beauty products (hair, makeup, nails)
- Shaving kits
- Wallets (Men's and Women's)
- Scented Candles
- New bed sheet sets (twin or full)
- Dish sets
- New house ware items (pots, pans, cooking utensils)
- Can openers
- Small appliances (irons, toasters, crockpots, coffee makers)
- Phone cards
- "Fashion" items (scarves, purses, sunglasses)
- Watches (Men's and Women's)
- Hair Straighteners or curling irons
- Fuzzy/fleece blankets
- Slippers (sizes M to XL)
- Diapers size 2 through 5
- Books for young-adults/adults
- Gloves/Mitten (Male and Female)
- Reusable grocery bags
- African American hair products
- Canned goods
- Peanut butter
- Granola bars
- Games (board games, playing cards, etc)
- Towel sets
- Gift cards: Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Hy-Vee, Price Chopper, Walgreens, Quik-Trip, Restaurant