Creation Care @ Saint Paul's UMC
Dear Friends of the Mosaic Garden,
Our bountiful garden has survived two moves and an expansion, thanks to lots of hard work from faithful members of Saint Paul's. Little did we know that while we were waiting for repairs to be done to correct water intrusion to the building, cherry tomatoes plants were growing from last years garden soil and compost. They were replanted into the new beds and are hanging on despite the extreme heat. A drip line hose is in the works, but even then, we need people to water them and the newly-planted zucchini and peppers.
We want the children, especially, to experience the wonder of watching plants grow. So we ask again for the wonderful families and groups of Saint Paul's (Sunday School classes, Youth, SPARKS, MOPS, Scouts, Choir, Home Schoolers, etc.) to Adopt a Week in the garden to allow the Saint Paul's community to take ownership of this beautiful space that provides fresh produce for those in need. Please share this with your groups and families, and consider providing ongoing support of the garden by becoming part of our Green Team!
Our mission is "to involve, educate and inspire Saint Paul's United Methodist Church and the Tallahassee community to appreciate and be good stewards of God's Earth" by creating, planting and harvesting a giving garden, the products of which will be donated Manna on Meridian, the Kearney Center and Soul Food.
Below are directions for Green Team volunteers, so you can see what is required. It is a minimal time commitment (about 15 minutes a day for a week) which you can split up with volunteers in your group.
Adopt a Week in the Garden
Volunteer To-Do list for Green Team
Thank you for volunteering to take care of our Mosaic Garden for a week! We are asking to have a Green Team volunteer come check on the garden every day or at the minimum every other day, so please schedule your group members, and have backups in case of last minute cancelations. If you have any questions about volunteering or problems watering during your week, please contact our Volunteer Leader Jessie Perry at (850) 320-4040. There is a brown plastic box at the garden site that contains gloves and tools for your use.
1. Hand water. The hose is now located within the garden walls. We have a rain gauge in a bed near the sidewalk. If we get 1-11/2 inches of rain, you do not need to water that day. Otherwise, feel the soil for moisture and water accordingly. Please WATER AT THE ROOTS AND DO NOT WET THE LEAVES if you can help it. Water any grass between beds that looks dry.
2. Check for pests. If you see any problems with bugs, please text Jessie or Cara with a picture of the invader. Then hand remove the bugs (use gloves or a spade if you'd like) into the bucket provided in the brown cube container, and dispose of them in the trash or relocate far away from the garden.
3. Check for any damage. If a plant looks broken, eaten, washed out, if it has grown large and needs to be supported or staked, etc. please text Jessie right away. Also, if the blocks have been moved or disturbed, please put back in alignment and let her know.
4. Check for mature vegetables. If you think a vegetable is ready to harvest, please do not pick it, but contact Jessie. We will have a coordinated effort to harvest and donate.
5. Mulch. If the mulch looks thin in spots, please add a little more pine straw around the plants. There is extra in the corner of the garden.
6. Once done, please text Jessie at (850) 320-4040 so she knows the garden has been tended for the day.
Thank you for helping us take excellent care of our Mosaic Garden! A lot of love and resources have gone into this ministry, and we appreciate you becoming a part of our Green Team. As a thank you, feel free to cut herbs for your kitchen use when you are there volunteering. Please don't hesitate to call or text any of us if you have ANY questions or concerns.
Now let's get growing!
Cara Fleischer, Creation Care Leader (404) 771-2608
Jessie Perry, Volunteer Leader (850) 320-4040