Marching Band Parents 2018
We need about 20+ parents optimally to help with the Fruit Sale Distribution on Wednesday, December 5th from 2:00 pm - 5:45 pm (time is an ESTIMATE!)
If you cannot get there that early or cannot stay the duration, that is okay, we will take help ANY portion of the time too!
HAND CARTS AND DOLLIES - YOU WILL NEED ONE IF YOU ARE PICKING UP MORE THAN ONE OR TWO BOXES! We only have a couple at the school - so if you can bring a hand cart you will be much better off!
For those of you who are new to the fruit sale distribution or need a refresher - Here is how it all works.... (otherwise seasoned members can skip down to the sign up below :)
ALL band students are expected to STAY AFTER SCHOOL on Wednesday, December 5th to help inspect fruit and fill orders.
The Truck arrives after school (ETA between 2:00 - 2:30 pm).
1) The students help transfer all 200+ boxes from the truck to the Cafeteria - using hand carts & flat carts, etc.
2) Fruit is placed on tables for inspection, by type and box size. So all of the 1/5 navels, on one table, then the 2/5 navels on the table next to it, then the 4/5 navels, next that. etc.. until will have all sizes and types laid out. There will be signs showing where each type of fruit goes and the boxes are COLOR CODED.
3) Once the truck is completely unloaded, we count and verify all of the boxes ordered have been received. (The number of boxes will be on the signs at each table). Extras are then set aside- these are the "extra" fruit boxes that will be used to replace any bad fruit in the next step.
4) Parent volunteers at EACH TABLE - will ensure students work in pairs and go through the boxes to pull any bad fruit out AND replace it with like kind good fruit.
Take top off the box of fruit - use that to empty fruit from box piece by piece - each piece of fruit should be handled and inspected to make sure there are no bad/soft (i.e. rot) spots. Imperfect fruit is okay - if there are scuff marks, etc. Inspection is only for rotten fruit (soft mushy etc.) If we remove more than 1 piece of rotten / mushy fruit from a box - we replace it from the "extra" box - extra boxes will be designated.
**ABSOLUTELY NO FRUIT CAN BE DISTRIBUTED UNTIL ALL OF THE BOXES ARE COUNTED AND FRUIT IS INSPECTED.**
5) Once ALL of the boxes are inspected for bad/mushy fruit, then the distribution process will start.
At the entrance to the Cafeteria, there will be a table with order forms in alpha order. Two parent volunteers will be there to assist you in finding your order form.
If you are coming to just pick up your fruit (ie... you cannot help with unloading/inspecting etc. - here's what you do:
Step 1: Get your order forms from the table at the entrance. Each order will have a "pick list" stapled on top. Take the pick list and give it to the students waiting to fill your order at the door.
Step 2: Please be patient, depending on the size of your order, it may take a few minutes to gather up your boxes! You can wait, and just meet the students at the distribution area to pick up your order.
Step 3: VERIFY your order. Please make sure you have the right SIZE boxes and TYPE of fruit indicated on your pick list. This pick list includes LOCAL orders that were placed online (if you had any) as well as the orders you manually turned in. You will be asked to sign the pick list indicating that you verified and received your order. We do our best to inspect your order, and put together for you but YOU need to make sure you have everything before you leave!
And that's it!! Please be sure to deliver the fruit to your customers Wednesday night! The sooner it is in their hands the better! If you cannot deliver fruit - it should be kept COLD. You may want to keep your order form for next year so you have a record (i.e. your customer list) of who bought fruit for next year! If you know a senior graduating, ask them for THEIR customer list!
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT TIMES: WE are relying on the fruit truck arriving between 2:00 and 2:30 pm. Like everything in life, things can happen beyond our control so if the fruit does not arrive by 2:30, then our time- frame will be off and we may be there longer. Your patience is greatly appreciated - we will do our best to move things along efficiently!