Avon United Methodist Church
July 9-13, 2018
Welcome to the Shipwrecked: Rescued by Jesus VBS volunteer registration page!
Mark your calendar now to join us for this fun-filled week where kids venture onto an uncharted island and learn to survive and thrive anchored in the truth that Jesus carries them through life’s storms. We thank God for your desire to volunteer and serve. Please note:
- IN ORDER TO SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS WE DO NOT REQUIRE VOLUNTEERS TO SIGN UP FOR EACH DAY. WHEN YOU SIGN UP THE DATE WILL REFLECT JULY 9TH, BUT THE SIGN UP IS ACTUALLY FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK, JULY 9-13. IF YOU CANNOT VOLUNTEER ON A SPECIFIC DAY(S) PLEASE NOTE THAT IN THE COMMENT SECTION OF YOUR REGISTRATION.
- All VBS volunteers, 18 years and older, MUST have a current criminal history check on file with Avon UMC. If you have previously completed a criminal history check with the church, it is valid for 5 years. The BACKGROUND CHECK AUTHORIZATION FORM is available for download at the bottom of this message. Please email this to [email protected] or drop it by the church office.
- Volunteers are encouraged to attend one of the VBS trainings either on Monday, July 2nd at 6 p.m. OR Sunday, July 8th at noon. A quick overview of the week will be shared followed by a short meeting with your volunteer group leader who will provide specific information for your volunteer position. A meal will be provided for our volunteers. Childcare will be available.
- Childcare for the children of volunteers not yet old enough to participate in VBS (3 and under) is available all week. Please make sure to mark "Yes" to the "I will need childcare" question within this registration site. The CHILDCARE QUESTIONNAIRE is available for download at the bottom of this message. Please fill one out for EACH child that will be in childcare and email to [email protected] or drop it by the church office.
- Throughout the week a church photographer will be taking pictures of our Vacation Bible School. These pictures may be shown on our projector screen in the sanctuary throughout the VBS week, printed in the VBS newsletter that goes home or on the AUMC Facebook page. Please contact Holly Collins at [email protected] if you do NOT want to be photographed.
- There are many opportunities available to share God’s love throughout the week. A brief description of each area is provided within the sign-up. A more detailed description of the line leader, floater and runner positions are available below.
- If you have any questions, please contact Holly Collins at [email protected]; 317-852-9606 (home); 317-345-3002 (cell) .
Line Leader (Our GREATEST area of need!): Be the leader for a small group of kids for the week of VBS, leading the kids from station to station. Two line leaders will be assigned to each group—either two adults or an adult paired with a responsible middle school or high school youth. Volunteer Line Leaders are the lifeline of VBS and easily the area we need the most people. A large pool of line leaders allows us to keep group numbers small which promotes a sincere connection with our kids! We will do our best to honor requests to be placed with specific children.
- Line Leaders must be able to serve a minimum of 4 of the 5 days.
- ALL Line Leaders must be able to attend a training session on either Monday, July 2 or Sunday, July 8.
- Line Leaders MUST be in the sanctuary by 8:45 each day.
Floater: If you are unable to commit to a full week of volunteering but still want to serve during VBS week, consider being a floater. Floaters may be assigned to any area that needs an extra set of hands. Sometimes our volunteers aren’t able to be at VBS on a particular day or an emergency prohibits a volunteer from fulfilling his/her job on a given day. In such events, our floaters save the day!!!
*NEW* Runners (Leader-Jen Hartz): Help our participants find their way safely to their group each morning by being a runner. Older students (5th-12th graders) are needed to escort younger kids to their group each morning. The best part--you can still be involved in another group (5th/6th grade group) or volunteer station at VBS! This position does require you to be at church by 8:30 EACH morning.
Thank you again for volunteering. VBS would not be possible without everyone who generously gives of their spirit and time. Thank you!
8:45am - 12:00pm EDT
Avon United Methodist Church
|| Holly Collins