Open Kitchen, a ministry of Redmond UMC, hopes to promote a sense of community, marked by dignity and respect, to serve a warm meal, and to ensure that no one leaves hungry. We need caring people who are passionate about feeding those who need a warm meal. Please sign up for a date (or dates) and a job that suits you (and please note the start and end times of job), knowing that there may be some fluidity among roles as meals progress.
Tips for successful volunteering:
- If it is your first time volunteering we need you to arrive 15 minutes early so that we have time to orient you.
- Once you add your name to a day and slot, you must scroll down the page and click "submit" in order to actually sign up. You wil receive a reminder two days prior to your scheduled date.
- Please let us know if the time slots are difficult for you. We will work with you so that you can volunteer with us.
- If you sign up for a job that ends before the end of the meal, feel free to stay and visit with our guests or head on out, whatever works for you.
- Feel free to help out as often as fits your schedule - once, once a month, or each week.
- If you would like to sign up with a group of people and there isn't room on any one day, please email the address listed below for assistance.
- Our volunteers under the age of 12 may serve as long as they are accompanied by an adult at all times and their parent has visited with coordinators prior to the start of the service hours. Our volunteers who are 12-14 may help out if a parent is present or they are under the supervision of a responsible adult. Volunteers who are 15-17 may help out on their own as long as a release form is signed.
- If your schedule changes, please remove yourself from the sign-up. If it is after 12pm on the day you are to serve, please call or text Shelia at the number listed below.
As we grow and serve, we are so thankful for the abundant generosity and the spirit of giving that walk through our door! The volunteer sign-up list is often full, and while we wish we had an official job for everyone who wants one, our operation is small. As you scroll through our sign-up genius, you will notice that our volunteer slots fill up fast! So, while you may not find a slot to help prep, serve, float, set up, or clean up, we have a very important job for you that doesn’t require signing up: Eating and visiting with our guests. We invite you to serve the spirits of our community, to provide friendship and comfort, to offer a smile or a listening ear. You will be amazed by the impact such a small gesture can have on lives, especially your own.
Please feel free to contact Open Kitchen at [email protected] or call Shelia at 425-922-7229 with questions about volunteering or in the event you need to cancel. Know that your time and commitment are greatly appreciated. Thank You!
|| Shelia Kandeler