Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church collaborates with the Salvation Army to feed Loudoun residents of the Herndon/Sterling/Leesburg areas on the second Saturday of each month.
There are three ways to participate in this ministry:
- Bring prepared sandwiches, fruit and water to the church between 3:00 and 3:30 in the afternoon on the second Saturday of the month.
- Ride and serve with the canteen truck at the two locations where we stop, Big Lots parking lot in Sterling and the Shenandoah Building parking lot in Leesburg. The truck leaves CTR about 3:30 and you are back at the church about 6:30-7:00. We need 3-4 servers for each trip.
- Drive the Salvation Army canteen truck (instructions for pick up and route are included here below the recipe.)
During the warmer months, we are serving sandwiches as follows:
Please make and bag about a dozen sandwiches. Suggested recipe: 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, 2 slices of ham or turkey, 1 slice cheese, 2 slices tomatoes, lettuce. Place each sandwich in a separate plastic baggie marked "H" for ham or "T" for turkey. It is best if you deliver them in an aluminum tray that can be placed in a cambro to keep the food cool and not crushed. Please also bring a similar amount of fresh fruit, preferably bananas, and water.
Instructions for Drivers/Servers
- Pick up the canteen at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop in Leesburg, 10 Cardinal Park Drive Southeast, Leesburg, VA, (703) 771-8905 at about 2:00, in time to be at CTR by 3:00 PM.
Pick up the key and sign out at the Thrift Store.
- Check inventory for gloves, plastic carry-out bags, trash bags, clamshells (should be about 300), and 4 cambros. Make sure there are liners for the cambros (they may all be in one of the cambros or in small cabinet above the counter.)
- Extra supplies are in cabinets above and below the serving window.
Before you start the Canteen be sure:
Breakers: All breakers need to be in on position. Look above drivers side door. This controls a/c, heat, and lights. All cannot be turned on at the same time. Be sure to turn off when you are done for the night.
Generator needs to be on. You can run the generator when driving.
** Be sure to turn all switches off when done otherwise it will drain the battery.
- Drive to CTR, load truck with food goods, drive to Big Lots in Sterling for 4 to 4:30 PM time-slot.
- Next destination is Shenandoah building (102 Heritage Way, N.E., in Leesburg, Va., just off Edwards Ferry Road.) for time-slot of 5:00 to 5:30. Park facing Walmart.
- Return the canteen and cambros back to the Salvation Army building. We do not have access to the building to clean cambros, etc. but we should attempt to wipe them and all surfaces with paper towels and cleaner provided. Dispose of the trash in a dumpster by the Shenandoah building or behind the thrift shop (please do not leave any food or trash in the truck.)
- Return the key to the Thrift Store staff or, if store is closed, in the door slot. You may also lock the key inside the canteen.
Servers please read carefully:
* Before serving be sure to wipe serving area with Clorox spray(a light spray will do the trick) and thoroughly wipe dry with paper towels. Please do this at each location before serving. Always keep serving area clean and tidy by wiping counter space often with paper towels.
* All servers are required to wash hands or use GermX before serving.
* All servers are to wear gloves
* Never use your bare hands to handle food.
* Wear a hair net or hat. Tie your hair back so it doesn’t fall in the food.
* If you cough or sneeze please step back and turn away from the food,. Please cover your mouth and immediately wash your hands. Toss out gloves and use fresh gloves.
* Latex gloves should be replaced if they are torn and after each location.
There will be a clip board in the canteen: On the clip board there will be 3 papers .
!. Emergency information,Insurance card, tow company to call.
2. Instructions for Drivers/Servers.
3. Feed the hungry stats report- please fill out.
Contact Information for emergency:
CALL Captain Pradeep Ramaji -cell 571-302-0248
Back up contact: John Broglio:703-963-1153
Tow truck- Hogan and Son : For STERLING 703-444-6426 For LEESBURG - 703-777-4055
Contact Monica Sasscer, 703-505-4520, for additional information about this ministry.
Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church
|| Monica Sasscer