Brought to you by Northshore School Foundation and NSD SPED Representatives
Presented by BCE PTA and NFP
Students in grade 2nd – 5th will have the opportunity to experience different challenges that their peers with disabilities may encounter. They will rotate through stations and engage in activities meant to replicate the following disabilities:
1. Vision- kids try drawing pictures without looking
2. Speech/hearing- kids try a picture board to communicate
3. Motor Planning- kids use their non dominant hands to do tasks
4. Empathy- kids discuss what it feels like to be in different scenarios
5. Reading/Writing- kids trace pictureslooking only in a mirror
Kindergarten and 1st grade classes will participate in their classroom through read aloud books and class discussion. Teachers of all grades have curriculum for class talks as well.
Each station has instructions on what to do, and there are great moments to witness as kids find empathy and greater understanding for people different than themselves.
NOTE: NFP and 5th graders will be going to the fair of Friday, and the remainder of students will be scheduled for Thursday.