Congregation Beth Emeth
Congregation Beth Emeth is committed to helping those who are in need in our community. Sadly, there are critical housing and food needs even in Fairfax county. In accordance to what our Torah teaches us, Beth Emeth has volunteered to provide 72 bagged lunches to the Embry Rucker shelter on the 3rd Erev-Shabbat of every month. We hope that you will join us in this mitzvah to repair/improve the world (Tikkun Olam).
Each slot below is to prepare and deliver either six or twelve bagged lunches. For each month, our congregation has committed to providing a total of 72 lunches. You are more than welcome to sign up for more than 1 slot. (e.g. if you sign up for 2 slots, you are signing up for 12, 18 or 24 lunches.)
The Embry Rucker shelter is located at 11975 Bowman Towne Drive, Reston, VA 20190 (adjacent to the Reston Regional Library).
Each Bagged Meal Should Consist of the Following:
- 2 sandwiches generously filled with deli meat (turkey preferred) or generously filled with cheese. (Please no peanut butter & jelly sandwiches or vegetables/condiments directly on the sandwiches.)
- 1 fruit in a cup or fresh fruit (please no apples or bananas).
- 1 HEALTHY snack (e.g.: chewy granola bars, sunflower seeds, trail mix, string cheese).
- 1 plastic utensil (if needed) and a napkin.
- Two 16-ounce bottled waters OR 2 box drinks & one 16-ounce bottled water.
Preparing Meals for Delivery:
- Place fruit or fruit cup, snack, utensil and napkin in each paper bag.
- Pack sandwiches in a separate container (box or bag) for refrigeration.
- Sandwiches should be provided separately, wrapped in individual bags, with the “use by date” of 5 days from the day of preparation marked on the outside of each bag and the contents of the sandwich indicated.
- Beverages can be provided in original containers for refrigeration.
- Delivery: Please drop off the lunches at the Shelter either Thursday 5-7 PM or Friday 7 AM-noon. Please deliver all meals to the kitchen entrance (through the parking lot and to the right) on the tables set up there. Once you deliver, please call (703) 437-1975 to let the staff know that the food is there.
- Not all bagged meals need to be identical.
- Large packages of sliced deli turkey (3 lbs.) may be purchased at Costco. Suggested amount is 2 packages Dietz & Watson Gourmet Lite- suggested number of slices per sandwich is 4. Approximately 3 large packages of bread will be needed: a total of 48 slices for 24 sandwiches.
- Bottled water should be provided separately from the bagged meals, to reduce tearing of lunch bags due to heavy water bottles.
- While this is a wonderful opportunity for the whole family, please do not bring children under 18 years old to the shelter when you drop off your bagged meals at the shelter
- NOTE: During Summer Months, any extra bottled waters that can be supplied are greatly appreciated – we have a much higher demand for bottled water during this time.
- Wash your hands, wear gloves and cover your hair.
- Review the U.S.D.A.’s safe food handling guide: www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Cooking_for_Groups.pdf
- Never leave perishable food at room temperature for more than two hours or for one hour if the temperature is above 90 degrees.
Questions? Please contact Shari Berman