Volunteers are needed to staff the 2018 Summer ESL Camp, sponsored by Cedar Springs' Refugee Ministry. Camp is a fun-filled and educational time for approximately 30 middle and high school age refugee children who are new to this country.
Location: Cansler YMCA, 616 Jessamine St., Knoxville TN 37917
Camp times: 1-4 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays June 19-July 26
Volunteer Orientation Dinner: Thursday, June 7, at 5:30 p.m. in Fellowship Hall
End-of-Camp Picnic: Saturday, July 28 from 4-6:30 pm at Tyson Park
Our Goals for the Students:
- To prepare them for the coming school year by giving them some English language skills.
- To provide orientation into our community and culture, offer them our friendship, and walk alongside of them as they continue to make huge adjustments.
- To build bridges to their families, offer them a holistic ministry, and share Christ's love with them.
We need teachers and assistant teachers (curriculum is provided, and you don't have to be certified - if you can speak English, you can teach ESL), enrichment providers (that's what we call music, art, science, etc.), bus drivers and chaperones, recreation and crafts leaders, snack providers, and peer mentors (middle and high school age students to come interact with the refugee kids during snack and recreation time). If you are interested in teaching a Bible lesson during the enrichment time, please contact Almaz ([email protected] or 291-5282).
- Teaching ESL to beginner (2 levels), intermediate, and advanced classes: Lead teachers and assistants are needed.
- Teaching enrichment: Share your gift! Includes music, different types of arts, science experiments, social skills, health education and the like.
- Bus driving and chaperoning: Drivers are needed for the CSPC bus (church approval and training required). Bus chaperones are necessary to maintain order on the bus, make sure the children safely get on the bus at pick-up, and that they are safely back in their homes at drop-off. (This is a WONDERFUL opportunity for a couple to volunteer together.)
- Providing and serving refreshments: Snack time is important! This allows casual interaction while everyone enjoys a small snack such as fruits, veggies, snack cakes, chips, etc. and a juice drink.
- Recreation leaders: Organizes group recreation for the campers and the peer mentors each day from 3:15-4 pm. Cansler allows us to use their gym and a nice, grassy field is available. Swimming is allowed on Wednesdays.
- Crafts leaders: Not all of the kids participate in the games and sports, so we like to offer crafts (such as bead jewelry, duct tape crafts, etc.) during the recreation time.
- Peer mentors: Middle and high school age students are encouraged to build relationships with the campers by coming for snack time to hang out and then joining them for recreation and swimming.
- Going on home visits: The home visits we make to enroll the children have proven to be one of the best ways to get to know the new families and build relationships with them. Please let us know if you are interested in participating in these visits, which will begin in May.
- Other volunteer opportunities: One-on-one tutoring and mentoring; being a conversational English partner with a refugee student during and/or after camp; leading a Bible study during and after camp. Please call us for more information.
TO VOLUNTEER TO HELP: Choose the dates you are available to volunteer by clicking on the box in the areas listed below. After you have selected ALL the dates and areas you wish, click on 'Submit and Sign Up' at the bottom of the page. Verify what you are signing up for and enter your cell phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx) and click 'Sign Up Now.' You're done! We will be in touch with you soon. (You do NOT have to create a SignUp Genius account unless you wish to.) Please note: We sincerely appreciate any time commitment you can make to the camp, and we know it is difficult to commit to the entire camp time, but please remember that it is best for the campers if they can have some consistency. If possible, please sign up for several consecutive weeks, or the same time every week.
Cedar Springs requires ANYONE working with minors to have a background check performed every 3 years. Form is attached. We will contact you to let you know if you need to submit the form.
**Our campers and their families represent a diversity of cultures. Out of respect, we ask you (especially young women) to be thoughtful and cautious in your clothing choices. Our desire is to represent the Lord well and glorify Him in ALL aspects of the camp. Please be mindful of cultural differences as you consider what you say, what you do, and what you wear while you are at camp.
Thank you for giving of your heart, skills, and time to help these kids adjust to their new lives, and hopefully find a life with Christ!
Questions? Contact Almaz (865-291-5282 or [email protected]) or Alison (865-291-5261 or [email protected]) or Karen (865-291-5227 or [email protected]).
*Please contact Alison or Karen for any questions or problems regarding the sign up.
|| Cedar Springs Presbyterian Church