We have the following opportunities to help our neighbors in need (please see item #3 if you have furniture to donate!).
** Items 1, 2 & 6 below may be used for Service Hours **
1. We will be providing dinner for the 50 Grassroots shelter residents on April 13 and May 4. Visit this link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0a48a5aa29a46-dinner1
2. Drop off items needed by Grassroots Day Resource Center on Saturday, April 17, from 10 am to 11:30 am at the Church of the Resurrection parking lot (behind the Pastoral Center, closest to the outdoor Stations of the Cross).
We have been asked to specifically donate the following to meet the needs of the Day Resource Center:
- Ziplock bags (zip not fold-over kind) – sizes: freezer, gallon, quart, sandwich
- Large black drawstring trash bags
- White kitchen trash bags
- Disinfectant wipes in tubs
- All-purpose cleaner in spray bottles
- Sharpie markers (black)
- Labels – 1” x 2 5/8” (e.g., Avery Easy Peel Laser Address Labels 5160)
- Men’s new underwear, all sizes
Thank you for shopping and donating the above items to help those using the Day Resource Center's services!
3. Furniture donations needed!
Grassroots has relocated four persons from the Cold Weather Shelter into permanent housing. In support of those relocated, Grassroots is looking for the following:
- Queen box spring and frame
- Entire Queen bed and frame
- Entire Double/full size bed and frame
- Dining/kitchen type tables and chairs
- End tables
- Sofas or love seats
If you have any of the above to donate, please contact: John Gilbert, St. Paul Grassroots Ministry Lead, 443-583-9650 or [email protected]
4. Recruiting medical personnel to staff potential vaccination site at Day Resource Center.
Dr. G at Grassroot's Day Resouce Center (DRC) is working on an application right now to open a vaccination clinic for the J & J vaccine at the DRC. He is currently trying to recruit enough medical personnel to ensure that we would be able to staff a vaccination site. The folks who use the DRC, by nature, are suspicious of vaccinations, and we are hoping that some would be more willing to get the Covid vaccine from a place they know and trust. If anyone is a vaccinator (RN, etc.) and wants to help out, please contact Melinda Becker at [email protected]
5. New Grassroots Volunteer Opportunities
Following are openings for individuals age 18 and over at the Day Resource Center in Jessup on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am-1pm. Volunteers will be cross-trained for both positions to fill in as needed. If you are interested please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Monteith Mitchell, at [email protected] for an online application and to schedule a phone or video interview.
Day Resource Center, 10390 Guilford Road, Suite A, Jessup MD 20794
- Showers and Laundry Monitor – assist a limited number of guests with shower and laundry supplies. Includes taking temperatures and recording entry times, cleaning showers area between guests and washing/drying shower linens.
- Clothing Distribution Assistant – Bag clothing requests listed by clients and hand out the door.
6. Survival Bags/Pre-Made Lunches/Food Donations - For any of you who would like to donate food stuffs, pre-made lunches, or make survival packs please contact John Gilbert (see contact information below). There is no specific due date -- anytime you want to provide them just let John Gilbert know via email or text. The Powell Recovery Center (PRC) in Baltimore will take all of the above at anytime and the Grassroots Day Resource Center (DRC) will take the food stuffs. John also hands out the survival packs and pre-made lunches to the homeless on the streets in HoCo and especially in Baltimore City. For the survival packs, just use a large brown paper lunch bag and put in toiletries, hand warmers, cereal bars, boxed juices, small water, granola bars, nuts, dried fruit, COVID mask, mini-sanitizer, and a card/note of faith/hope. For the pre-made lunches adding a fruit and sandwich to the same is all you need to add. You can run you own event with your Ministry, Group and Family. Just let John Gilbert know and he can do to pick-up from you!
Contact: John Gilbert, St. Paul Grassroots Ministry Lead, 443-583-9650 or [email protected]
Thank you for your time and generosity!
Sign up below to receive notifications when supplies or volunteer opportunities arise. (Note: you only need to sign up once to continue to receive future email notifications.)