Arlington County, Child Advocacy Center
Thank you so much for your interest in Child Abuse Prevention training. We understand many community members view this Stewards of Children (Darkness to Light) as an important opportunity to come together around keeping children safe.
To ensure the health and safety of our community, Arlington County is only offering these trainings virtually. We will be posting "open" sessions as we add them. Please reach out to us directly to schedule a session for your group or community. We offer times and dates that work for you! All presentations are free of charge and can be offered in English or Spanish. You can also take the trainings (small fee) directly from Darkness to Light (www.d2l.org) when it is convienent for you.
Working together to make a safer, happier world for our children.
The Child Advocacy Center of Arlington County, VA is proud to partner with Darkness to Light (click for more information). We share their mission and join them in their work which is guided by the vision of a world free from child sexual abuse, where children can grow up happy, healthy and safe. We know that prevention is possible, and we believe that it is an adult responsibility to protect children.
Arlington County offers a comprehensive selection of trainings to professionals, parents, concerned adults and older teens. Please see below for more information on each of our trainings.
Thanks to grants and county funding these trainings are being offered at NO COST to all participants.
Please see below for offerings (click on session title for more information):
- STEWARDS OF CHILDREN® (2 ½ hours) - Learn how to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. We want you to become confident and competent, knowing how to prevent sexual abuse and react skillfully if it occurs. *** 2 CEUs for social workers, nurses, hygienists and dentists.
- HEALTHY TOUCH FOR CHILDREN & YOUTH (1 hour) - Learn how to balance children’s needs for warmth and affection with safe, respectful ways of interacting.
- TALKING WITH CHILDREN ABOUT SAFETY FROM SEXUAL ABUSE (1 hour) - Have age-appropriate, open conversations about our bodies, sex, and boundaries. Recognize a child’s attempts to talk about their concerns.
- BYSTANDERS PROTECTING CHILDREN FROM BOUNDARY VIOLATIONS & SEXUAL ABUSE (1 hour) - Describe the behavior. Set a limit. Move on. Always make sure the person who has violated the boundary is willing to follow the limit you’ve set.
- COMMERCIAL SEXUAL EXPLOITATION OF CHILDREN (1 hour) - Commercial sexual exploitation of children is also child sexual abuse. When a child receives something of value for being sexually exploited, it should never be mistaken as the child’s consent.
All courses are offered in English or Spanish, we offer them on an ongoing basis through out the year (see calendar below). We are happy to work with you and your group (school, church, sports team, office, etc) to set up a training for you at a location of your choice in Arlington, VA.
For more information contact: Jennifer Gross, LCSW, CSOTP at 703.228.1561 or [email protected]
In addition to Child Abuse Prevention trainings, the Arlington County CAC also offers additional trainings specifically for multidisciplinary team members. For more information contact: Marcella Rustioni, LCSW, DCFI at 703-228-1567 or [email protected]
|| Jennifer Gross