United Lutheran Volunteers
As the number of COVID-19 cases in our county and city increase, there is an increasing need for support for those who are sick, quarantined, or homebound. United Lutheran Church is creating a COVID response team to care for those who need assistance. We are looking for volunteers to help in the following ways:
1. Check in and assess needs. Each volunteer will be paired with an individual or household where people are sick, quarantined, or homebound. The volunteer will call and check in on their assigned household to see what they need. As United’s pastors and staff become aware of needs, they will contact volunteers.
2. Deliver a care package. Care packages will be available through the church office. The care packages will include helpful items (Gatorade, tea, crackers, etc).
3. Shop. Covid response volunteers would also shop for any needed items and deliver them to your assigned household. Gift cards for needed items will also be available through the church office.
4. Cooking meals. We are hoping to create a pool of volunteers who will provide a meal to be delivered to a household in need.
5. Donate gift cards. Gift cards ($25-$50) will be used to shop for needed items or given to household so they can order meals when people are not able to cook.
No contact. All deliveries are to be made without ever entering a home or coming into contact with people.
This is a difficult illness that impacts people in many ways. Because people are quarantined when they have this illness, it is difficult to get what they need. Consider for example, a college student, miles from home, quarantined by themselves in a hotel room for 10 days. Or a family with several people are ill and no one can leave the house. Or people with a pre-existing conditions that are frightened to get out and don’t have a support system in our community.
Pastor Peter and Pastor Karla will be available to provide support and pastoral care as well as to assist volunteers with any concerns or advice.
|| Christine Barta