The mission of The Circle of Peace Movement (TCOPM) is racial healing and the elimination of neighborhood violence). The Racial & Restorative Justice Team of Unity Church–Unitarian helps organize volunteers to support the circles.
How can I help? The welcoming atmosphere of the circle starts with a home-cooked meal. We need prepped food donations and help with meal preparation and coordination.
- Donations of prepared food items for 40 people on the second and fifth Mondays. We divide meals into five categories of donation/prep for each circle:
- Main Dish. No pork. Example: roasted chicken legs/thighs with rice or roasted sweet potatoes. Write a note with cooking instructions if you won't be cooking the item yourself. If you wish to provide a casserole, please check befoehand with Sarah Balenger (651-492-8685) about the ingredients . . . Lasagna is always good.
- Green Salad:
- 16 oz. of greens plus two or three other chopped vegetables such as sliced green onions or diced red onion, bite-sized pieces of bell pepper, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers
- Homemade or bottled dressing (for application immediately before serving)
- Fresh fruit salad (no dressing):
- About 6 pounds total of two or three varieties of seasonal washed, stemmed, and (cut if necessary) bite-sized fruit such as red or green grapes (don’t cut), strawberries, pineapple, melon, mango, orange or Cutie sections, berries, etc. Bananas and apples must be cut immediately before serving.
- Bread (sliced, put on counter, not in refrigerator/cooler):
- 1.5 loaves and 2 sticks of butter for Monday
- A small portion per person (not necessarily homemade), such as mini-cupcakes, brownies, cookies, or pieces of candy
- Prepare food at home or in the kitchen (using church pans).
- Mark all food donations “Monday Circle." Mark any container for return with your name. It will be rinsed and left in the volunteer coordinator’s office.
- Leave items (except for bread & butter, which should be left on the counter) in the church kitchen frig/cooler shelf marked "Circle" (on the left) by 4:30 pm the day of circle. You may drop off food earlier if it will remain fresh. Everything is ready to serve before 5:15.
- If you wish reimbursement for food items, save your receipt and fill out a reimbursement form found in the Circle of Peace box in the church mailroom. Attach the receipt to the form and put in Barbara’s mailbox. A check will be mailed to you.
Questions? Contact: Ellen ([email protected] 651-224-1403)
Sarah and/or Ellen or another prep assistant will be there at 3:30 to plate and assemble the food (put dressing on salad, add bananas to fruit or heat main dish) on Unity kitchenware.
- Food service may change as the circles grow! Look for e-mails from Sign Up Genius for announcements.
If you have questions contact: Ellen Green 651-224-1403, [email protected]
|| Rasah Singleton