Welcome to the Habitat sign-up site for members of the Fairfax Interfaith Coalition for Habitat* (FICH). You will see below some MONTHLY BuildDay opportunities: usually on Saturdays, Wednesdays, or Fridays. (You may also see some BuildDays or slots designated only for certain congregations.) If all the slots on any BuildDay are taken, you can sign up to be on the Wait List - we clear these on a first-come, first-served, space-available basis.
We're glad you're here. Remember: no experience necessary - we train you and all tools and equipment are provided! So, grab your jeans and t-shirt - and find a date below. Please note that Habitat requires a minimum age of 16 to volunteer on construction sites.
Steps to sign up:
- Volunteers must register once per year at Habitat for Humanity's VolunteerHub. This registration captures all the information Habitat needs, including a volunteer waiver. If this is the first time in the current calendar year you are volunteering, please register on VolunteerHub before proceeding to sign up below for a BuildDay. Young adults 16-18 years old will need parental permission. To register, please see the VolunteerHub instructions in the "Related Files" section below.
- If this is your first experience on a Habitat Build, please watch the following safety orientation video prior to your first BuildDay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_VH0Fh2I0o.
- Sign up for your BuildDay below - note the build site locations can vary by date.
- Some time prior to your BuildDay, download the BuildDay Volunteer Guide for the build site (see "Related Files" section below).
- The MIC Coordinator for your BuildDay will be in contact with the volunteers about a week before the work date to update you on any details and the work you may be doing on that day.
- Come, learn and have fun!
We currently have 3 Build projects we are scheduling for. Download below the BuildDay Volunteer Guide for your project - it contains site-specific detailed directions and other information you will need. If you have already registered on VolunteerHub (see step 1 above) you do NOT need to bring a paper waiver.
- Pyrenees: a rehab townhome in Reston
- Donora: a new single family home on Donora Drive in Alexandria
- Bluemont: a rehab townhome in Herndon
- Alabama: a rehab townhome in Herndon
Workday hours are 8:40 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Bring your own lunch unless told otherwise. Your FICH Congregation coordinators are happy to take questions or assist in any way (email addresses in parens):
Immanuel Presbyterian: Rob Stotz (rhstotz AT aol DOT com)
Lewinsville Presbyterian: Mary Frase (maryjfrase AT gmail DOT com)
McLean Baptist: Sonia Myrick (ksmyrick AT verizon DOT net)
Redeemer Lutheran: Lynn Barth (lynnbarth AT gmail DOT com)
St. Anne's Episcopal: Ann Granger (annthepotter AT gmail DOT com)
St. Francis Episcopal: Phil Pifer (philipjpifer AT mac DOT com)
St. John's Episcopal: Jack Hannon (jackhannon86 AT gmail DOT com)
Evan Draim - 20s and 30s (evan DOT draim AT gmail DOT com)
* We recently changed our name from McLean Interfaith Coalition to Fairfax Interfaith Coalition for Habitat to better reflect the locations of our volunteer congregations and our focus on supporting Habitat for Humanity NOVA.
|| Habitat-Interfaith Coalition