As most of you know, Resurrection has been involved in the social concerns ministry at EDR for many years. Once a month, a small group of Resurrection volunteers go to EDR West to prepare a hot meal, and serve it to people in need, frequently serving about 180-200 people.
Unfortunately, because of the pandemic, EDR has had to change the way that it functions. Since they cannot use their dining room to seat large crowds, they provide, to everyone who lines up at their door, a grocery bag filled with a lunch meal, a few non-perishable food items, and sandwiches that can be used later in the day. During this time, we have continued to support EDR financially to help cover the cost of lunch time food.
The generosity of Resurrection Parish is bountiful. We would like to call on that generous tradition of giving to offer EDR some more help as they continue their incredible, much-needed work, helping people who are experiencing food insecurity here in Delaware. The Ministry of Caring feeds about 200 people a day at EDR West alone.
HERE is the CURRENT HELP they NEED
EDR needs sandwiches, about 200 per day. We would love to be able to help EDR with this once a month, beginning on the third Wednesday of each month, until sandwiches are no longer needed.
INGREDIENTS for the SANDWICHES
- 2 lbs. of deli meat, such as ham, turkey, or roast beef
- 1lb. of cheese for the sandwiches; any good slicing cheese is fine
- a dozen sandwich rolls (save plastic bag they come in)
- NO other ingredients—- no condiments, no vegetables, no sauces
MAKING the SANDWICHES
- Make the sandwiches at your home, following all sanitary precautions: EDR requires that we wash our hands, and wear gloves and a mask while making and handling the sandwiches
- Using about 2- 4 slices of meat, depending on the thickness of the slices, and 2 slices of cheese, provides a healthy, substantive sandwich
PACKAGING the SANDWICHES
- Put each completed sandwich into a separate plastic sandwich bag
- Put all completed, bagged sandwiches into your original sandwich roll bag for transit
- Write your name, address, and number and type of sandwiches on a piece of paper or small note card and put it in the bag or tape it to the outside of the bag (this is a health code rule)
- Refrigerate the sandwiches until delivery time
DELIVERING the SANDWICHES
- Deliver your sandwiches to Resurrection between 8 and 9 a.m. on the day we need them.
- You will not have to leave your car. Please wear a mask.
- Drive up to the front of the church; have your sandwiches somewhere accessible for us to pick them up—-front passenger seat, back seat, or rear area of your car or van.
- We will bring them down to EDR immediately after getting all the sandwiches.
Thank you so much for your continued generosity to so many. If you feel that you can join us in helping people who are experiencing hunger on a daily basis, we, and they, would be most grateful.
Please contact Sue or Andre Dagenais with any questions at 302-234-1495 or [email protected]
To sign up, click the coral (pink) sign up button and then the blue submit and sign up button.
|| Debbie Seymour