Iglesia Presbiteriana Emanuel (IPE) hosts a weekly food give away every Wednesday from 2:00-4 p.m. During this time of COVID-19 they are experiencing high demand for their services and are in need of persons to manage the traffic in their parking lot, direct traffic on Ellerbee St. just below the church (must be 18+ years), and to load to food into car trunks.
Wednesday volunteers are asked to park in the neighborhood across the street from the church (Northgate Park) since the parking lot is needed to deliver food. There is safe crossing of Roxboro at the traffic light at the intersection of Roxboro and Lavender St. You must bring and wear a mask. A safety vest is provided, but bring one if you have one. Bring a water bottle for hot days and rain gear for rainy days. You may not volunteer if you have a temperature, are feeling sick, or suspect you have the COVID virus. Volunteers will not come within 10 feet of any person. Anyone grades 8 and up can sign-up. If you sign up to place groceries in cars, you will be provided with gloves and will touch groceries and car trunks. You also need to have strength and stamina for this position.
Note to Wednesday Volunteers: The media and other random people (including some WPC persons) are often taking pictures to document and promote the work being done by IPE! The Wednesday Giveaway is a prime time for volunteers to be photgraphed and/or recorded while working. If you have issues with your persona "going public" in one these ways, please say something to those who are taking your picture or recording you. We are not able to control this in much of any other way. The only way we know to prevent anyone being photographed or recorded is to encourage you to say something at the time it is happening. Cherrie, Alex, or Chris can be consulted if you need help with this.
We also have a help-at-home volunteer option. This includes bagging beans and rice in quart-sized ziplocks at home. Here are the details about that work:
- Purchase 50 or 100 pounds of rice or beans (pinto, black, red) from El Camino, a Mexican food distributor, located at 2314 Reichard St, Durham 27705. This small store is a little tricky to find, as it is tucked away behind the Bojangles on Guess Rd. Cost of beans at El Camino: $85 – $90 for 100-lbs, depending on type of beans. Rice: $24 for 50-lb bag.
- You may also purchase 50-lb bags of rice from Costco or Sam’s Club, cost - $18. Check to see if they have large bags of beans.
- Divide the beans or rice into quart size Ziplock bags. Please use freezer strength baggies.
- You should be able to fill approximately 54 Ziplock baggies from a 100-lb bag of beans or rice. This is at least 4 full cups of beans in each bag.
- Deliver your baggies to Iglesia Emanuel on Monday between 2-4 p.m..
- In the comment line of the sign-up please let indicate how many pounds you are bagging. We are constantly monitoring the numbers of beans and rice coming in to keep that amount optimal for our giveaway. Further questions about beans and rice may be addressed to Margaret Rubiera – [email protected]
Remember beans and rice are heavy and will need to be transitioned from store to home, home to IPE. You can make as many short trips as you like, but you will want to be sure this is okay for you.
If you would like to donate food to IPE (that is not beans and rice) these also can be taken on Mondays to IPE between 2-4 p.m. Items most needed are:
- Breakfast Cereal
- Canned protein (Tuna, Chicken, etc)
- Canned Vegetables
- Spaghetti Sauce (Cans please! Jars break too easily.)
- Peanut Butter
IPE has many other volunteer opportunities on Mondays and Tuesdays. To see and sign up for those go to this sign-up Genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f48aaad23a6fa7-iglesia
Iglesia Presbiteriana Emanuel
2504 N Roxboro St., Durham, NC 27704
|| Westminster Presbyterian Church