HBA Uniform Fitting Committee
HBA Uniform Committee needs volunteers for uniform fittings before band photographs (new date TBD).
Volunteers are welcome to sign-up even if they can only attend for a portion of a time slot. (Please note that time in comment field.)
The procedure will be a little different this year due to the Coronavirus pandemic!!
ALL instrumentalists and color guard are required to make a fitting appointment during the weeks of July 13th and July 27th.. Only TWO students will be on site per time slot to allow for distancing, even though everyone will be asked to wear masks. Each student will need to bring an assistant to help with garments. Our fitting assistance should only be needed to determine proper fit and manage uniform stock on racks.
Committee Chairs are working on sanitization procedures for anything that will be handled by more than one person.
General Fitting Notes
- Returning students: Prior uniform is reserved for use. If uniform still fits, needed adjustments are made and garment is reissued. If not, uniform is released and student is given another garment to try. Since uniforms are "reserved" for returning students, we request upperclassmen be fit first, thereby potentially releasing garments for younger students.
- New students: Are measured by Committee Chair/s and then given a garment number to try.
- Uniforms are always worn over street clothes. Students should bring band shoes for fitting. There are some old shoes, limited sizes, in storage closet if needed. While it is not ideal to share items this year due, it is the best way to get proper length adjustment so borrowed shoes will be sprayed with disinfectant between use.
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED TO......
- Help manage uniform racks, keeping assigned uniforms separate from "stock".
- Fitting: remind students NOT to put feet into fold of hem since that will unsnap them! Students try on pants then put on band shoes to adjust length. After student's assistant helps zip garments, fitting volunteer instructs them how to set proper length of pants (at middle of shoe laces), by first adjusting bibber rise with buckles on straps and then positioning snaps on the hems. (We will double check that hems are fully snapped after garment is hung up.) Have student's assistant adjust jacket sleeve length if needed (to bottom of wrist, or longer if play trombone or trumpet).
- Cleaning: Items handled (hangers, borrowed shoes) are wiped down or sprayed before continuing to next step.
- If garments do not fit: return unassigned uniform to stock rack; have student return to Committee Chair for another garment assignment.
- If garments fit: uniform goes to check-out committee member. It is very important that these uniforms be moved to the "checkout" rack and not be mixed with unassigned stock.
- Pressing: Are you willing to iron? The greatest need is for volunteers to press hems and sleeves after adjustments are made. Ironing board and iron can be provided for on-site work, or uniforms can be pressed at home and then returned.
- Skill: No sewing experience needed. It helps to have sturdy fingers, good knees, and something to sit or kneel on while adjusting hems (snapping double set of snaps on side seams above pant hems). There will be a couple of small, sturdy stools, but volunteers are welcome to bring their own as well.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Karen Brienza and Sue Basista
HBA Uniform Fitting Committee Co-Chairs
P.S. There will be a extremely low number of "by appointment only" fitting times outside of this schedule. However, Karen will be away the first week of band camp so those dates are TBD. If anyone is available and willing to learn the fitting procedures for assigning garments in case there are students who miss all pre-season opportunities, please contact us ASAP!
P.P.S. Due to the close-fitting nature of the uniforms, a very small number of garments have to be tailored for student use. Sign-up here or contact Karen directly (cell: 412-335-0989; email [email protected]) if you are adept with alterations and would be able to assist with those, or repairs. Thank you!!!
NEW LOCATION: Sidewalk outside rear doors of school, near band room