An oneg, hosted by members of the congregation, follows services every Friday night throughout the year. Hosting a Friday evening oneg is a nice way to celebrate a bar/bat mitzvah, birthday, anniversary, or other special occasion with the congregation. It is also a nice way to honor the memory of a loved one on his/her yahrzeit.
Normally, responsibilities include bringing the food/drinks for the oneg, coming to services early to set-up, and staying afterwards to clean-up. Since we are meeting via Zoom during the COVID-19 pandemic, we are providing the opportunity for members to "sponsor" a virtual oneg.
Here's how it works:
- Choose a Friday night to sponsor, and sign up here or by contacting Suzanne Shore or Ilene Holt-Turner ([email protected]). If you'd like, you can list the charity that you will be donating to in the comment section of the sign-up.
- Make a donation to a charity about which you are passionate.
- Light the Shabbat candles that night at services (Sara will lead us all in the blessing, unless you would prefer to recite it yourself.).
- During announcements, you will be able to tell us about the place to which you donated.
- Hakafa will make a donation to that organization in your honor.
- Even if you cannot be at services that evening, we will tell participants about your cause, and Hakafa make the donation in your honor.