Breakfast Book Club 2018/2019
Country Club Elementary's Breakfast Book Club is a wonderful way to promote reading and encourage our readers to talk about what they learned! As always, this program needs volunteers just like you to make it special for our kids. We rely on Sign Up Genius to keep track of all of our volunteers. Please sign up for the dates and type of assistance you can provide. We appreciate volunteers so much – BBC could not happen with YOU! As a reminder, you must be cleared as a volunteer through Be A Mentor http://www.srvusd.net/parents/volunteers.
Below are the details of the different ways you can be a BBC volunteer.
* Costco Runner (Backup) - Nicole Shivitz has generously offered to be our Costco Runner for the third year in a row. Thank you, Nicole!!! We would like to have a backup in case Nicole is unable to pick up food for our meeting. This would entail buying our food (bagels, muffins, juice, fruit, milk, supplies) at Costco the day before and prepping the food (cutting the bagels, muffins and fruit, if necessary). The Costco Runner delivers the food at 7:30 AM on the day of the meeting.
* Check-in Table - We would like 2 people to assist with checking in students prior to getting their breakfast, starting at 7:30 AM. This helps us ensure the safety of students on campus and allows us to remind students of where to go for their discussion group after breakfast.
* Breakfast Server - We would like at least 6 volunteers (3 per table) to be at the MPR at 7:30 AM to set up and then keep the food line moving. Once the students depart the MPR, we need help moving any leftovers to the office and/or Kids’ Country and the supplies put in storage.
* Discussion Group Leader - At 7:55 AM the discussion group leader will pick up the bag of books for your group and after breakfast (8:05 AM) the students break into their designated groups by grade and gather in their assigned BBC classroom.
To facilitate conversation, you might ask the kids the following questions:
1) Who liked (or didn’t like) the book and why? (select a few students to answer)
2) Was there a lesson to be learned in the book and what was it?
3) Could you relate to the main character(s)?
4) What was your favorite part of the book?
These are just some examples of the types of questions you might ask. At the end of the discussion (8:30 AM), you will collect written book reviews for the book discussed. Students who turn in a book review may choose a prize from the prize box. You will also hand out the next month’s books and send them off to their respective classrooms (some will already be in their own class). All books are labeled on the back of the book with the students names. Any books that cannot be handed out should be returned along with the bag to a box located just outside the office. Those books are then given to their teachers for distribution to the students who were unable to attend that meeting.
* Starbucks – We need one volunteer to stop by the Starbucks at Village and Alcosta to pick up a coffee order and deliver to the MPR at 7:30 AM. One carafe of coffee with cream, stirrers, cups and napkins. This is probably the most important job of all as it keeps our parent volunteers going!
MANY THANKS TO OUR WONDERFUL VOLUNTEERS!!!
Country Club Elementary MPR