The Rafiki Coalition for Health & Wellness is a community based organization. We are looking for volunteers to support a series of health screening events. The screening will consist of Blood Pressure, cholesterol and glucose testing, and weight/BMI assessment. Further, general health/risk assessment with education/counseling and referral. This is a great opportunity to practice your skills!
Events will be at 601 Cesar Chavez San Francisco unless otherwise indicated.
Parking: There is free reserved parking for Rafiki volunteers at the front of the building. If there's no more parking or an event is taking place at the parking lot, there is street parking on Michigan Street which is the street before reaching Rafiki.
Please use the comment section to indicate what level you are. Level 1 students can't sign up until they have started their clinical practicum on October 3, 2019. We would like to make sure there is only one Level 1 nursing student for each day. This is just so that there can be a more experienced nursing student to help mentor if needed!
- Check in with the front desk
- Set up supplies
- Health Screening
- Collect White sheets. Give white sheets for Rafiki and give yellow carbon copy for clients.
- Provide Recommendations for your client’s health
- Post-Conference with Ty or Khushboo. White sheets are handed in to them at the end of shift.
- Clean up. Take batteries out of cardiochek and leave in the black case. Test strips go in the fridge. Test chips should go in the test strip box!
- Take Inventory; if anything is low in supply, please inform Jasmine Chen, Khushboo, or Ty
Health Screening Tasks:
- BP (mark which arm used)
- Cholesterol and Glucose (Cardiochek)
- Glucose only (glucometer)
- BMI and body fat (Have a BMI calculator ready on your phone and use weight scale)
- Foot assessment
- ASCVD risk calculation (download ASCVD Risk Estimator Plus app)
- Evaluate or develop health plans based on your client’s goals and capacities
How to Use Cardiocheck:
- Materials: cardiocheck machine, test strips + corresponding test chip, lancet, bandaid, gauze/cotton ball, pipette (either plunger type OR bulb type)
- Insert test strip (bottom) and test chip (top). Turn on cardiochek by pressing “ > “ until you get to “apply sample”.
- Always check that the finger has adequate blood flow. Encourage client to first warm their hands and drink water. Wrap your hand around their finger as a tourniquet. The cardiocheck requires MORE blood than a typical glucometer to work.
- Collect sample using pipette. Use gravity by lowering client’s hand to induce more blood flow. Avoid trapping air bubbles in the pipette by keeping the end of the pipette that is in your hand higher than the end collecting blood. If air bubbles are present and clog the pipette, keep first pipette and use a second one to collect remaining blood.
- Pipette must be >75% filled to achieve a reading on the machine. If the machine gives you “error”, then it did not have enough blood sample on the test strip.
If you have any questions, concerns, or need to update about low supplies, inform Khushboo and at least one onsite personnel. Please call ahead to Rafiki (415)-615-994 5 if you are running late.
Please contact us ASAP if you need to cancel, so we can find another volunteer to replace you. Rafiki depends on us to provide health screenings.
601 Cesar Chavez St, San Francisco
|| Community Health for NSA Students