McKinley PTA Community Service Committee
Thank you for your interest in McKinley's Food Bus program! We collect unopened and unwanted packaged items and whole fruit from the cafeteria. We deliver to Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC) every Wednesday (or an alternative date around holidays). AFAC distributes the food to local families in need. The process is fairly simple:
- Generally we pick up food from the Food Bus fridge in the cafeteria between 2:05 and 3:20 (after lunch ends and before the bus circle becomes unavailable). On early release days, pick up is any time after school, as long as the food arrives at AFAC before 4:30.
- Use the bags on top of the fridge or boxes under the table (or bring your own to use/donate for the next person). Divide the food into 3 categories: (1) Dairy/Refrigerated Items; (2) Fruits/Vegetables; (3) Shelf-Stable Items. (Note: There may be shelf stable items on top of the fridge as well.)
- Drive the food to AFAC (2708 S. Nelson Street, Arlington 22206) within one hour of picking it up. (Note that AFAC closes at 4:30. If you are running late, please call ahead to inform them at 703-845-8486.)
- Pull up to AFAC's loading dock where a volunteer will help you unload and weigh the food.
- Right inside the dock door is a holder with donation slips that have a top/bottom copy. You don't need to fill out everything, but please write the date, the weight and "McKinley Elementary FOOD BUS" as the donor name. Turn in the top copy to AFAC and keep the bottom copy as your receipt.
- Take a picture of your receipt and email it to [email protected]
If you run into any problems, please contact Stacy Leff at 240-305-5635 or Rachel Dober at 703-244-2769.
McKinley to AFAC