Thank you so much for your interest in OLGC’s 7th Annual Thanksgiving Dinner Drive. In these unprecedented times, our dedication to these local families is greatly appreciated. As of today, we have requests for 165 dinners. Due to the pandemic, I anticipate this number to increase. Please consider donating a dinner for a family in need. This year, we will be supporting 2 local Fairfax County Public Schools and OLGC's St. Vincent DePaul Society.
This year, taking COVID protocols into consideration, we have made a few changes to our program.
- All Thanksgiving Dinner basket will be for a family of 6. All dinners will be that one size to minimize contact.
- $25 Walmart gift cards for turkeys, etc. will need to be purchased from an outside vendor, as OLGC is no longer using the Divine Dollars program. Walmart gift cards are given to the families so they can purchase a turkey and other fresh items. A $25 card is recommended, but additional cards, in $25 increments, can be donated to help support the family's needs.
- This year we are asking all donor families to use a plastic Tubberware bins, laundry hamper, etc. to collect their food. Plastic provides volunteers the opportunity to sanitize the bins being moved. The parish office has a limited number of bins to donate to OLGC families preparing dinner boxes. Please reach out to the parish office to reserve one.
- OPTIONAL-add your family’s favorite Thanksgiving dish. We are encouraging donor families to add a family recipe, with all the ingredients, to pass along their traditions to another family.
What makes the dinner drive so special is that each basket is unique to the family that creates the box. Below is a suggested list of foods to include-these are not mandatory-just a place to start. And as in years past, we are asking donor families to consider including pantry items to stretch the dinner box past one meal. This is especially critical this year, with many of our recipient families experiencing food insecurity due to the pandemic.
- Potatoes (fresh or boxed)
- Canned veggies and fruits (NO GREEN BEAN-our feedback each year indicates that our families do not eat canned green beans)
- Fresh seasonal fruits and veggies
- Bisquick/pancake mix
- Chicken stock and canned/packaged gravy
- Cooking oil
- Canned meats (chicken, tuna, etc.)
- Deserts (pie crusts and filings, cake mixes/frosting, etc.)
- Dinner rolls
PLEASE NOTE: No Alcohol or frozen/refrigerated foods (milk, eggs. Etc.) Although we have a same day drop-off/pick-up, we have no way of keeping items cool.
A detailed description of the dinner drop-off (scheduled for Tuesday 11/24 between 9-11am) will be emailed out to all the participants.
Please email if you are able to make a box but unable to make the drop off date/time.
Questions? Please email Meg Gillespie [email protected]
|| Meg Gillespie