Here's the volunteer sign up for our competitions this year. We need lots of help at GCM getting the students ready to head out, then on site, and then unloading back at GCM. Opportunities at GCM are usually shorter and thus perhaps suited for families with younger children. On-site volunteers can ride the school bus to/from the competitions and enter the competitions for free.
We have the dates and locations for the competitions, but not the times yet. Unfortunately, exact times may not be available until the week of the competition, and they will come out by band email, with this SignUpGenius also being updated if time permits. Assume the students will be starting at GCM with a morning rehearsal, getting a lunch break, and then being returned to GCM late at night. Send them with money to buy lunch near GCM (if you are not providing their lunch) and dinner at the competition, and with a jacket for after the performance (maybe that band Spiritwear you bought?). They are transported to and from competitions by bus.
Here are the procedures and usual general times for the various volunteer jobs:
Load truck at GCM
- Load props, pit instruments, other large instruments, guard equipment, jackets, shakos, plumes on truck at GCM (late morning or early afternoon)
Pit/Front Ensemble and Prop Crews
- Unload truck at competition (late afternoon)
- Move to warm-up area
- Pit and props leave, last tuning, line up
- Move to staging
- Staging- work with team of students to move props and pit instruments to field
- Perform (evening or night)
- Work with team of students to move props and pit instruments off field
- Load props, pit instruments, other large instruments, guard equipment, jackets, shakos, plumes on truck
- Assist students with donning bibbers, black socks and marching shoes, and putting up hair (at GCM after lunch break)
- Assist students with donning jackets and shakos, last-minute help with hair, etc. (at competition in late afternoon)
- At staging, wearing provided gloves, insert plumes (evening or night)
- Assist with moving pit/front ensemble instruments to staging and on/off the field as necessary
- At competition after performance, wearing provided gloves, collect plumes
- Return to bus where students remove jackets and shakos, pack shakos in boxes and jackets on racks, return uniform racks and shako/plume boxes to the vicinity of the trucks for loading
[The students will return to the stands together to watch the remaining bands and the awards. When the competition is over, the students return to the bus and are driven back to GCM late at night.]
- After students remove bibbers and marching shoes at GCM, oversee storing all uniform components (late at night)
Unload truck at GCM
- Unload props, pit instruments, other large instruments, guard equipment, jackets, shakos from truck at GCM (late at night). Start in the front of the school to unload the first items, then move to the shed behind the football field to finish unloading and storing.
- Purchase 120 (or 240 for a long or very hot day) water bottles (give receipt to Treasurer for reimbursement), load on buses with the students, remove any unused water back at GCM late at night
WE NEED YOUR HELP, PARENTS. The BPO and Band Program expect each band and colorguard family to volunteer a minimum of 5 shifts plus Tag Day throughout the marching season. Opportunities to sign up for shifts can be found on the SignUpGenii for:
- Band Camp Lunches and Parent Coffee
- Uniform Measurement and Fitting
- Game Day Volunteers
- Competition Volunteers
- Tag Day Parent Volunteers
Go to marshallband.org and click on Volunteering to find all the SignUpGenii.
PLEASE, if you have to cancel within 24 hours of your slot, remove your name from the SignUpGenius AND also email the appropriate person below to let him/her know:
Thank you for all you do!
The GCM BPO Board
Questions or concerns?
Please contact Tracy McHone at [email protected].
Note for May Memorial Day Parade: They wear band t-shirts and shorts for this, so all we need is a few volunteers to walk with the band in the parade on Monday with water, and someone to buy the water. See map here for where to meet at 1 pm (around N West St between Great Falls St and 7/W Broad St).