Here's the volunteer sign up for our competitions this year. We need lots of help at GCM getting the students ready to head out, then on site, and then unloading back at GCM. Some on-site volunteers enter the competition for free.
The BPO and Band Program expect each family to volunteer a minimum of 5 shifts plus Tag Day throughout the marching season. Please sign up here for some shifts, sign up on the GCM Band Game Volunteers SignUpGenius for some more, and sign up on the GCM Band Tag Day Parent Volunteers SignUpGenius too.
We have the dates and locations for the competitions, but not the times yet. Unfortunately, exact times may not be available until the week of the competition, and they will come out by email, with this SignUpGenius also being updated if time permits. Assume the students will be starting at GCM with a morning rehearsal, getting a lunch break, and then being returned to GCM late at night. Send them with money to buy lunch near GCM (if you are not providing their lunch) and dinner at the competition, and with a jacket for after the performance. They are transported to and from competitions by bus. A few pit/prop/uniform volunteers can ride on the bus also.
Here are the procedures and usual general times for the various volunteer jobs:
Load truck at GCM
- Load props, pit instruments, jackets and shakos on truck at GCM (late morning or early afternoon)
Pit and Prop Crews
- Unload truck at competition (late afternoon)
- Move to warm-up area
- Pit and props leave, last tuning, line up
- Move to staging
- Staging; work with team of students to move props and pit instruments to field
- Perform (evening or night)
- Return to bus where students remove jackets and shakos, load truck
- Assist students with donning bibbers, black socks and marching shoes, and putting up hair (at GCM after lunch break)
- Assist students with donning jackets and shakos, last-minute help with hair, etc. (at competition in late afternoon)
- At staging, wearing gloves, insert plumes (evening or night)
- At competition after performance, wearing gloves, collect plumes
- Return to bus where students remove jackets and shakos, pack shakos in boxes and jackets on racks, load truck
[The students will return to the stands together to watch the remaining bands and the awards. When the competition is over, the students return to the bus and are driven back to GCM late at night.]
- After students remove bibbers and marching shoes at GCM, oversee storing all uniform components (late at night)
Unload truck at GCM
- Unload props, pit instruments, jackets and shakos from truck at GCM (late at night)
Thank you for all you do!
The GCM BPO Board
Questions or concerns?
Please contact Cece Hallisey at [email protected].